1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I The difference between Ampere's law & Biot-Savart Law

1. Jan 3, 2017 #1
    When considering the magnitude of the magnetic field at a certain point (##P##) away from an infinite/finite wire, I can't understand how an infinite wire would generate a stronger magnetic field (##B##) in contrast to a finite wire that has the same dimensions and current applied, at the same point (##P##). I understand how to use the equations, yet I can't fully understand the concept.

Considering the case of an infinite wire:
    Case1.jpg
    At the point the magnetic field is point out of the page.
    Case of the finite wire:
    Case2ab.jpg

Where (A) is the current element region of focus.
    Why are the different considering the same ##I## and dimensions for the two?
    I found from other sources that all the current elements in the wire would contribute to the magnitude at point(##P##) but how is that so? If the magnetic field created by the current element loops around it:
    Side_View.jpg
    If so, how can regions B,C contribute to point(##P##) for the two wires?
    Case2.jpg
    For the finite wire:

Case2b.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That is not the full magnetic field induced by the wire element. The full magnetic field is 3-dimensional, it just has its strongest region orthogonal to the wire.

You can use Biot-Savart to calculate that.

4. Jan 3, 2017 #3
    For some reason I can't imagine that...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted