The Difference between Male and Female Engineering

• Thread starter wannab
  • Start date
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
[edit: It isn't clear to me if you were responding to me specifically or to someone else or just generally.]
My post was inspired by yours but it wasn't directed to you specifically :biggrin:. And really the whole point was to address the "emotional" label. People who are labeled "emotional" are often feeling just one emotion (often sadness), but there are lots of other emotions.

Just so we're clear, I'm not arguing any such thing, nor would it be a good argument to start with even if I believed it, since I'd be arguing that a clear-cut strength could in some contexts be a weakness*. Even if I could, the political correctness of arguing that women are deficient in anything but physical prowess makes rational arguing of any non-physical less-suited-ness difficult. It is much easier to argue women are superior to men for certain jobs due to their superior emotional/personality skills. It is both a more palatable/politically correct stance and, conveniently, more direct.
Yes of course it's the same thing, saying one gender is superior is the same as saying the other one is inferior. But I see what you're saying. Emotional sensitivity is very important on most jobs, and I would not be surprised to see a gender difference in that.

But I will ask this: assuming equal interest, given a choice between a field where you are exactly equal to your peers in skills and one where you are significantly inferior to them, which would you gravitate toward?
Assuming equal interest? I'd choose the first option I think. But I say that with decades of experience that has taught me to play to my strengths.

*For the record, I believe that non-intellectual considerations are pretty unimportant in engineering which means that men and women would on average be pretty much exactly identically suited for engineering. I think you misread. I didn't say that women are more emotional, I said they are better able to deal with emotion. And I said (and sourced) that they are better able to perceive emotion (via non-verbal communication) in others.
I'm probably the worst female to address this particular gender issue, actually, since I had to learn how to work with women (that whole seven-brothers-thingy). I had to learn to take extra time to smile and be nice, otherwise I was often misinterpreted as being aloof. So I'm a woman who has often been misinterpreted by women. On the other hand, men would frequently come on to me without me giving the slightest signal of interest, so I've been misinterpreted by them too. What's a poor woman to do? o:)

My post was inspired by yours but it wasn't directed to you specifically :biggrin:. And really the whole point was to address the "emotional" label. People who are labeled "emotional" are often feeling just one emotion (often sadness), but there are lots of other emotions.
I can clarify a bit what's meant by beeing Feeling rather than Thinking in MBTI for example. It's not about having more emotions, it's about whether persons base their decisions more on feelings or more on rational reasons. I'm guessing that this doesn't actually change the ability of anyone to do something particular, like engineering, but more likely it would change their interest to do it.

I'm probably the worst female to address this particular gender issue, actually, since I had to learn how to work with women (that whole seven-brothers-thingy). I had to learn to take extra time to smile and be nice, otherwise I was often misinterpreted as being aloof. So I'm a woman who has often been misinterpreted by women. On the other hand, men would frequently come on to me without me giving the slightest signal of interest, so I've been misinterpreted by them too. What's a poor woman to do? o:)
heh, keep in mind though, that the largest part of your personality comes from biology. This means that you having this behavior is actually likely not because of your brothers (though that could still enhance it of course), it's probably because you have a, for women, unusual personality type (you're likely to be a 'T'). My best advice would be to take a personality test and find out. It's honestly surprising how much it helps to have words describe it. (feel free to pm me if you have questions and don't want to derail the thread further).