The dimensionality of an operator?

• Thread starter broegger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operator
In summary: I think the former is what most people do, and it's what I do.In summary, the dimensionality and derivative of an operator can be defined in terms of its eigenvalues and time dependence, respectively. An arbitrary function applied to an operator can be calculated using the spectral decomposition, where the eigenstates form a complete orthonormal basis. The dimension of an operator refers to its units, which can be extended to operators just like other physical quantities.
broegger
I have some basic questions concerning operators. What is actually meant by the following:

1) The dimensionality of an operator? E.g., what does it mean to say that the operator K has the dimension of 1/length (an example from Sakurai's book)? Operators act on abstract mathematical states to produce other states - how can you ascribe a dimension to such a quantity?

2) The derivative of an operator? Like dA/dt, where A is an operator. Can anyone offer an intuitive explanation?

3) An arbitrary function applied to an operator? Like exp(A) where A is an operator. In this case we can write exp(A) = 1 + A + A^2/2 + A^3/3 + ... - is this how you define a function of an operator in the general case, by using the taylor expansion?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
broegger said:
1) The dimensionality of an operator? E.g., what does it mean to say that the operator K has the dimension of 1/length (an example from Sakurai's book)? Operators act on abstract mathematical states to produce other states - how can you ascribe a dimension to such a quantity?

When he says "dimension" there he's not talking about the dimension of a vector space, he's talking about units. K has to be an inverse length for the units to work out right.

2) The derivative of an operator? Like dA/dt, where A is an operator. Can anyone offer an intuitive explanation?

If an operator A is time-dependent, then it's eigenvalues are time-dependent. dA/dt is a measure of the rate of change of that time dependence.

3) An arbitrary function applied to an operator? Like exp(A) where A is an operator. In this case we can write exp(A) = 1 + A + A^2/2 + A^3/3 + ... - is this how you define a function of an operator in the general case, by using the taylor expansion?

Yes.

It means exactly what it "should" mean: for example, I have an operator-valued function A whose domain is the reals, and whose range is operators, then we have:

[tex]
\frac{d}{dx}A(x) = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{A(x + h) - A(x)}{h}
[/tex]

This definition makes sense because operators have norms, so the meaning of the limit is just like any other metric space. (such as R³)

For the sufficiently insane, there's also ridiculously abstract way to make sense of feeding an operator into certain complex valued functions. (And it even let's you work with things that aren't analytic... things that don't have power series expansions)

broegger said:

A function [tex]f(\hat{A})[/tex] of an operator [tex] \hat{A}[/tex] can be calculated by:

[tex] f(\hat{A}) = \sum_{n} f(a_{n}) |n \rangle \langle n| [/tex]

where you have the eigenvalue equation:

[tex] \hat{A} |n \rangle = a_{n} |n \rangle [/tex]

So if you want to calculate [tex]exp(\hat{A})[/tex] you can do this by:

[tex]exp(\hat{A}) = \sum_{n} e^{a_{n}} |n \rangle \langle n|[/tex]

with
[tex] f(\hat{A}) = exp(\hat{A}) [/tex] and
[tex] f(a_{n}) = e^{a_{n}} [/tex]

I think this is called the spectral decomposition (or spectral theorem?). Someone else maybe can tell you what this 'technique' is called.

-----------------

I just found in the Preskill lecture notes:
http://www.theory.caltech.edu/people/preskill/ph229/notes/book.ps
See page 38 and 39:

A self-adjoint operator in a Hilbert space H has a spectral representation - it's eigenstates form a complete orthonormal basis in H. We can express a self-adjoint operator [tex]\hat{A}[/tex] as

[tex] \hat{A} = \sum_{n} a_{n} \hat{P_{n}}[/tex]

with [tex] \hat{P_{n}} = |n \rangle \langle n| [/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. I understand 2) and 3) now. There's still the issue about 1), though...
Tom Mattson said:
When he says "dimension" there he's not talking about the dimension of a vector space, he's talking about units. K has to be an inverse length for the units to work out right.
I know he means units, but as far as I know only numbers can have units. We need to extend the concept of units if we are to apply to operators, aren't we? Or am I missing something?

If we maintain that the dimensions of both sides of any equation in physics be the same then it naturally follows that operators have dimensions.

And in any case, you learned in Physics I that objects other than numbers can have dimension. Take a vector such as velocity, for example.

Bleh, what I had posted is about bounded operators... to apply what I said exactly as I said it, you have to either restrict attention to an appropriate subspace of the state space or to an appropriate subspace of the operators.

1. What is the dimensionality of an operator?

The dimensionality of an operator refers to the number of independent variables or parameters that the operator acts upon. It is a measure of the complexity of the operator and determines the size of the matrices or vectors that it operates on.

2. How is the dimensionality of an operator determined?

The dimensionality of an operator is determined by the number of unique input variables or parameters that it requires to produce a unique output. This can be calculated by examining the size and structure of the matrices or vectors that the operator operates on.

3. Can the dimensionality of an operator change?

Yes, the dimensionality of an operator can change depending on the specific problem or system it is being applied to. In some cases, an operator may act on a larger or smaller number of variables, altering its dimensionality.

4. What is the significance of knowing the dimensionality of an operator?

Knowing the dimensionality of an operator is crucial in understanding the complexity of a problem and determining the appropriate mathematical tools or techniques to use in solving it. It also helps in determining the size and structure of the input and output data, which can impact the efficiency and accuracy of the operator's results.

5. How does the dimensionality of an operator relate to the dimensionality of a problem?

The dimensionality of an operator is closely related to the dimensionality of a problem. In many cases, the dimensionality of a problem is determined by the dimensionality of the operators that are involved in solving it. Therefore, understanding the dimensionality of an operator is crucial in understanding the overall dimensionality of a problem.