The domain of a function in interval notation

In summary, the domain of the function k(y)=1/(2y+1) is all real numbers except for -1/2. This can be notated as D: y≠-1/2 or D:(-∞,-1/2)\cup(-1/2,∞). When determining the domain of a function, you must make sure the denominator is not equal to 0 and the inside of an even numbered radical is not negative. It is important to understand the meaning of domain in order to properly solve problems involving it.
nightshade
1. what is the domain of the function k(y)=1/(2y+1)? Express your answer in interval notation

3. I find that 0.5 is a possibility in this function, but since i have not done functions at school, i do not really know much more of this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are generally only two restrictions you have to look for when determining domain. If there is a fraction, the denominator cannot equal 0, and if there is an even numbered radical, the inside cannot be negative.

nightshade said:
1. what is the domain of the function k(y)=1/(2y+1)? Express your answer in interval notation

3. I find that 0.5 is a possibility in this function, but since i have not done functions at school, i do not really know much more of this question.

"0.5 is a possibility" for what? It certainly is not the domain because it is not a interval. Are you claiming that 0.5 is in the domain?

So what really is meant by the domain? Is it asking for all possible values of y?

I mean that 0.5 could be y

All possible values for x .

nightshade said:
So what really is meant by the domain? Is it asking for all possible values of y?
Good question! You can't solve a problem about the "domain" if you don't know what that word means. Did you consider looking the word up in your textbook?

The "domain" of a function, f(x), is the set of all allowable values lf x. The set of all possible values of the function, y if we have y= f(x), is the "range" of the function.

Nightshade,

the domain of f(x)=[itex]\frac{2}{x-1}[/itex] for example is all real numbers except 1, because when x is 1 the denominator goes to 0, and the equation becomes undefined.

This can be notated as D: x≠1 or D:(-∞,1)[itex]\cup[/itex](1,∞)

1. What is the domain of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values (or independent variables) for which the function is defined. It is the range of values that can be substituted into the function to produce a valid output.

2. How is the domain of a function represented in interval notation?

In interval notation, the domain of a function is represented by using parentheses or brackets to show the range of input values. For example, if a function is defined for all real numbers except for -2 and 5, the domain can be written as (-∞, -2) U (-2, 5) U (5, ∞).

3. Can the domain of a function be infinite?

Yes, the domain of a function can be infinite. This means that there is no upper or lower bound on the input values that the function can take. An example of a function with an infinite domain is f(x) = 1/x, which is defined for all real numbers except for 0.

4. How do you determine the domain of a function from its graph?

To determine the domain of a function from its graph, you need to look at the x-coordinates of the points on the graph. The domain will be all the possible x-values that correspond to points on the graph. If the graph continues indefinitely in either direction, the domain will be infinite.

5. Why is it important to understand the domain of a function?

Understanding the domain of a function is important because it tells us the limitations of the function. It helps us determine the set of input values that will produce valid outputs and avoid any undefined or infinite values. This is especially important when using functions in real-world applications, as we need to ensure that the input values are within the domain of the function.