Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: The domain of a function in interval notation

1. Mar 15, 2012 #1
    1. what is the domain of the function k(y)=1/(2y+1)? Express your answer in interval notation

3. I find that 0.5 is a possibility in this function, but since i have not done functions at school, i do not really know much more of this question.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2012 #2
    There are generally only two restrictions you have to look for when determining domain. If there is a fraction, the denominator cannot equal 0, and if there is an even numbered radical, the inside cannot be negative.

4. Mar 15, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

"0.5 is a possibility" for what? It certainly is not the domain because it is not a interval. Are you claiming that 0.5 is in the domain?

5. Mar 19, 2012 #4
    So what really is meant by the domain? Is it asking for all possible values of y?

6. Mar 19, 2012 #5
    I mean that 0.5 could be y

7. Mar 19, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

All possible values for x .

8. Mar 19, 2012 #7

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Good question! You can't solve a problem about the "domain" if you don't know what that word means. Did you consider looking the word up in your textbook?

The "domain" of a function, f(x), is the set of all allowable values lf x. The set of all possible values of the function, y if we have y= f(x), is the "range" of the function.

9. Mar 19, 2012 #8
    Nightshade,

the domain of f(x)=[itex]\frac{2}{x-1}[/itex] for example is all real numbers except 1, because when x is 1 the denominator goes to 0, and the equation becomes undefined.

This can be notated as D: x≠1 or D:(-∞,1)[itex]\cup[/itex](1,∞)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook