How does the Double-Slit Experiment explain the strange behavior of electrons?

In summary, there is a common misconception that an electron changes its behavior between being a wave and being a particle, but in reality it behaves as a quantum particle at all times. This behavior may appear to be similar to that of a classical wave or particle depending on the experiment being conducted. Chapter 4 of the provided resource offers further clarification on this topic.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member
Homework Statement
I have always seen YouTube videos saying how an electron 'knows' when we are observing it but I always put that down to youtubers creating popular science (verging on science fiction) hype for more views. I suppose there is more science behind an electron behaving like a particle when we put a laser beam behind the slits to observe which slit the electron passed through and there must be more concrete evidence behind it to explain that. I do not see any explanations in my textbook and I am hoping all the knowledgeable people on PF can help me understand this seemingly bizarre phenomenon of an electron changing its behavior when we try to 'see' it. Thank you very much
Relevant Equations
N.A
I have always seen YouTube videos saying how an electron 'knows' when we are observing it but I always put that down to youtubers creating popular science (verging on science fiction) hype for more views. I suppose there is more science behind an electron behaving like a particle when we put a laser beam behind the slits to observe which slit the electron passed through and there must be more concrete evidence behind it to explain that. I do not see any explanations in my textbook and I am hoping all the knowledgeable people on PF can help me understand this seemingly bizarre phenomenon of an electron changing its behavior when we try to 'see' it. Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Long story short : "observed" means "messed with".

hmmm27 said:
Long story short : "observed" means "messed with".
I understand, but how does that translate to the physical result of the interference pattern being reduced to a normal one expected for particles?

Common misconception. The electron does not change behaviour between being a wave and being a particle. It is neither. It is an electron and it behaves as an electron, which is a quantum particle. Now, that behaviour has some properties that are reminiscent of properties of a classical wave and some that are reminiscent of a classical particles. Which of these that become apparent in your experiment depends on what experiment you are doing.

• Wow
Likes sysprog and Krushnaraj Pandya
Krushnaraj Pandya said:
Homework Statement: I have always seen YouTube videos saying how an electron 'knows' when we are observing it but I always put that down to youtubers creating popular science (verging on science fiction) hype for more views. I suppose there is more science behind an electron behaving like a particle when we put a laser beam behind the slits to observe which slit the electron passed through and there must be more concrete evidence behind it to explain that. I do not see any explanations in my textbook and I am hoping all the knowledgeable people on PF can help me understand this seemingly bizarre phenomenon of an electron changing its behavior when we try to 'see' it. Thank you very much
Homework Equations: N.A

Try this. See Chapter 4:

http://physics.mq.edu.au/~jcresser/Phys304/Handouts/QuantumPhysicsNotes.pdf

Orodruin said:
Common misconception. The electron does not change behaviour between being a wave and being a particle. It is neither. It is an electron and it behaves as an electron, which is a quantum particle. Now, that behaviour has some properties that are reminiscent of properties of a classical wave and some that are reminiscent of a classical particles. Which of these that become apparent in your experiment depends on what experiment you are doing.
Thank you very much, I understand now

What is the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment is a famous physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

Why is the double-slit experiment important?

This experiment is important because it challenges our understanding of light as either a wave or a particle. It shows that light behaves as both a wave and a particle, depending on how it is observed.

What is the significance of the interference pattern in the double-slit experiment?

The interference pattern seen on the screen in this experiment is significant because it can only be explained by the wave-like behavior of light. This pattern occurs when the light waves passing through the two slits interfere with each other, creating areas of constructive and destructive interference.

What other particles have been used in the double-slit experiment?

Aside from light, scientists have also performed the double-slit experiment with electrons, protons, and even large molecules like buckyballs. These experiments have all shown the same wave-particle duality behavior, further supporting the theory.

What are some real-world applications of the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment has been used to develop technologies such as holography and electron microscopy. It is also an important concept in quantum mechanics, helping to explain the behavior of subatomic particles. Additionally, it has philosophical implications in understanding the nature of reality.