1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The electricity shortfall has reached 3,000 MW

1. Aug 12, 2010 #1
    In news stories about the countries suffering from energy crisis it is said that, let's say, the electricity shortfall has reached 3,000 MW while the generation is 5,000 MW and demand 8,000 MW. Watt is used for rate of energy, energy flow per unit time. Are they talking about the shortfall in average terms? Perhaps, the shortfall keeps varying, at times it is over 3,000 and sometimes below the indicated value, but when taken average it's 3,000 MW. Do I have it right? Please let me know.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2010 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Must be something like that because obviously a power plant can only produce what it can produce. Do you have a link to the news story you're talking about?

4. Aug 12, 2010 #3
    Thanks, Russ.

No, I don't have the link - I just made it up. Let me google it.

I found this: http://www.rediff.com/money/2007/may/03power.htm

According to the latest government estimates, the country will face a peak hour power shortage of 14,000-15,000 Mw in the coming months, against a demand of over 100,000 Mw, which would result in inevitable blackouts and loadshedding.

5. Aug 12, 2010 #4
    Power plants sometimes just cant give enough juice for the peak hours, thats is usually at noon.

6. Aug 13, 2010 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook