The Electroweak Symmetry: What Happens When It Breaks?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of electroweak symmetry and its relationship to the unification of electromagnetic and weak forces. It is confirmed that breaking the electroweak symmetry means separating these two forces. Additionally, it is clarified that the symmetry is broken due to a decrease in energy, not the other way around.
avito009
I was thinking whether to ask this question or not because the mentor might not like it. Again it could be my misconception. But I think I should ask this question because it would help others who are at the same level of study as I am. So those people can just see this post of mine and clear their doubts.

When the Energy is > 100 GeV the electroweak symmetry is unbroken. So Electroweak force is unification of Electromagnetic and the weak force. So does breaking the electroweak symmetry mean that the two forces electromagnetism and weak force are separated?

Then when this symmetry is broken average particle energies fall below around 1016 GeV. So when this energy falls then where does the remaining energy go? Does this energy convert to mass?

Also before the electroweak symmetry breaks the particles are massless am I right?

(I know Drakkith you won't like this post but I have a valid reason to post this as stated above that it would help people who are at the same level of understanding as me and it would clear their misunderstanding.)

Physics news on Phys.org
avito009 said:
When the Energy is > 100 GeV the electroweak symmetry is unbroken. So Electroweak force is unification of Electromagnetic and the weak force. So does breaking the electroweak symmetry mean that the two forces electromagnetism and weak force are separated?

Yes, that is exactly what it means.

avito009 said:
Then when this symmetry is broken average particle energies fall below around 1016 GeV. So when this energy falls then where does the remaining energy go? Does this energy convert to mass?

You have it backwards. Symmetry is broken because the energy has fallen below the threshold, not the other way around.

avito009 said:
(I know Drakkith you won't like this post but I have a valid reason to post this as stated above that it would help people who are at the same level of understanding as me and it would clear their misunderstanding.)

There's no need to "justify" posting a question. It just makes you look silly.

Related to The Electroweak Symmetry: What Happens When It Breaks?

1. What is electroweak symmetry?

Electroweak symmetry is a fundamental principle in particle physics that describes the unified force between the electromagnetic and weak nuclear forces. It explains how particles interact with each other and how energy is transferred between them.

2. How does electroweak symmetry work?

Electroweak symmetry is based on the idea that there is a symmetry between the electromagnetic and weak nuclear forces at high energies. As the universe cooled after the Big Bang, this symmetry was broken, resulting in the two distinct forces we see today.

3. What is the role of the Higgs boson in electroweak symmetry?

The Higgs boson is an elementary particle that is responsible for giving mass to other particles through the Higgs mechanism. In the Standard Model of particle physics, the Higgs boson is an essential component of the electroweak symmetry breaking mechanism.

4. How is electroweak symmetry related to the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model is a theory that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions. Electroweak symmetry is a crucial aspect of this model, as it explains the unification of the electromagnetic and weak nuclear forces, two of the four fundamental forces in nature.

5. What are the implications of electroweak symmetry for our understanding of the universe?

Electroweak symmetry breaking is a crucial event in the history of the universe, as it led to the formation of the fundamental particles and the forces that govern them. Without it, the universe as we know it today would not exist. Understanding electroweak symmetry is essential for our understanding of the origins and evolution of the universe.