The equation for any set of lines passing through an ellipse with the same slope

In summary: The Attempt at a SolutionI started by suggesting he implicitly differentiate the equation for an ellipse and put it in the point slope equation, but it turned out to give an equation for dy/dx = m, but not the desired equation. I worked on different approaches at home for half an hour, but I'm stumped.Passing through an ellipse? As in they're tangent to it?This is a bit confusing. You title this "the equation for any set of lines passing through an ellipse with the same slope" but then give an equation for exactly two lines.
VonWeber

Homework Statement

I was tutoring a student and could not answer one of his questions. Prove that y = mx +- square root( a^2*m^2 + b^2 ) is the equation for two lines passing through an ellipse

Homework Equations

(x/a)^2 + (y/b)^2 = 1 is the equation of an ellipse

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by suggesting he implicitly differentiate the equation for an ellipse and put it in the point slope equation, but it turned out to give an equation for dy/dx = m, but not the desired equation. I worked on different approaches at home for half an hour, but I'm stumped.

Physics news on Phys.org
Passing through an ellipse? As in they're tangent to it?

This is a bit confusing. You title this "the equation for any set of lines passing through an ellipse with the same slope" but then give an equation for exactly two lines.

Look at [itex]y = mx + \sqrt{ a^2*m^2 + b^2 }[/itex] and [itex]y = mx - \sqrt{ a^2*m^2 + b^2 }[/itex] separately. Where do they cross the ellipse [itex](x/a)^2 + (y/b)^2 = 1[/itex]? I think, like genneth, that it is quite possible they intend these to be the two lines that are tangent to the ellipse on opposite sides.

Yeah, of course I meant tangent. don't be so nitpicky

There's the boring and tedious way, which is to show that the lines intercept the ellipse at a single point -- substitute one into the other, show that the ensuing quadratic has a single repeated root. There's probably some other clever geometrical proof.

VonWeber said:
Yeah, of course I meant tangent. don't be so nitpicky
Don't be so nitpicky? You leave out a crucial part of the problem, mis-state another part and you consider that nitpicky? And you are a mathematics tutor?

So I take for one part: y² = (mx)² + 2mx√(a²m² + b²) + a²m² + b²
substituting for y² in the equations for an ellipse I get:

x²(1/a² + m/b²) + x[2m√(a²m² + b²)/b²] + a²m² = 0

I don't see how to make it clear that this has a repeated root, and I'm unclear on why that means it is a tangent to the ellipse.

Well, when does the equation [tex]ax^2 + bx + c = 0[/tex] have a repeated root? Chuck it into the quadratic formula and see if you can't spot something obvious.

1. What is the equation for any set of lines passing through an ellipse with the same slope?

The equation for any set of lines passing through an ellipse with the same slope is y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept. This is the standard form of a linear equation.

2. How does the slope of the lines affect the shape of the ellipse?

The slope of the lines passing through an ellipse determines the eccentricity of the ellipse. A larger slope will result in a more elongated ellipse, while a smaller slope will result in a more circular ellipse.

3. Can the equation for any set of lines passing through an ellipse be written in other forms?

Yes, the equation can be written in other forms such as point-slope form y - y1 = m(x - x1) or slope-intercept form y = mx + b. The choice of form depends on the given information and the preferred method of solving the problem.

4. Is it possible for the lines passing through an ellipse to have different slopes?

No, the definition of an ellipse is a closed curve in which the sum of the distances from any point on the curve to two fixed points (called foci) is constant. This means that all lines passing through the ellipse must have the same slope.

5. How can the equation for any set of lines passing through an ellipse be used in real-world applications?

The equation for any set of lines passing through an ellipse can be used in various real-world applications such as designing satellite orbits, predicting the path of a planet around the Sun, or analyzing the motion of objects in a magnetic field. It can also be used in engineering and architecture to determine the shape of domes, arches, and other curved structures.