1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus

1. Jul 26, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this concept. I understand integration and differentiation individually. I even understand the algebraic manipulations that reveals their close relationship. However, the typical geometric interpretation of a 1-D curve being the derivative of the area function below it seems odd to me. I'm trying to get an intuitive understanding of how a 1-D curve, say A'(x) = f(x) , is the derivative of an area function, A(x). I think I might know where my source of confusion lays: When dealing with derivatives, I'm used to visualizing in terms of tangent lines drawn to a 1-D curve. It seems weird to apply it to an area function, which is more irregular polygon than it is 1-D curve. I hope my concerns make sense.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Googling doesn't help ?

4. Jul 26, 2015 #3
    try googling

mit Session 47: Introduction of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus

and watch that

5. Jul 26, 2015 #4
    + S[x+dx] = S[x] + f(x)dx. Obvious from geometry. => f(x)=S'(x)

6. Jul 26, 2015 #5
    Great video, but it didn't quite answer my question. I might not have been able to articulate my question that well over the internet. Oh, well. Thanks, anyhow.

7. Jul 27, 2015 #6
    I think the missing link between integration and differentiation is primitiv(-isation,-ization, -ation, ..., I don't know). It is the 'reciprocal' operation to differentiation: ##\phi## is a primitive of a piecewise continuous fonction ##f## if and only if ##\phi## is differentiable on the domain of ##f## and ##\phi' = f##.
    The set of all primitives of ##f## vary by an additive constant. So all primitives of ##f## have the form ##\phi = \phi_0 + C##, where ##\phi_0## is a particular primitive of ##f##.
    It happens that the function ##\phi_0(x) :=\int_{x_0}^x f(t) dt ## is a primitive of ##f## wherever ##f## is continuous (just show that if ## f## is continuous in ##a##, ## \frac{\phi_0(x) - \phi_0(a)}{x-a} \rightarrow f(a) ## as ## x\rightarrow a## ). I think it explains a little bit the link between integration and differentiation.

The link between the area under the curve of ##f##, defined on ##[a,b]##, and its integral, comes from the construction of the integral of piecewise continuous functions from the integral of step-functions on ##[a,b]##, which are homogenous to an area

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted