The Grim Future of Civilization: A Cynical Perspective

In summary, the conversation discusses the likelihood of civilization surviving until the year 2100, with one person expressing cynicism and the other arguing that change is necessary and inevitable. The conversation also touches on the destruction of natural resources and the changes that have occurred in the world over the past hundred years. The conversation ends with a lighthearted mention of joining a team of exterminators.
ehrenfest
Considering the current rate of technology advancement and the political situation around the world, I think that there is no way our civilization will make it to the year 2100. I have thought about this a lot and I just cannot imagine a scenario in which civilization is not totally destroyed before then. And if civilization is not totally destroyed, I think it would be so insanely different than it is now that it would scare us out of our minds if we saw it.

Sorry for being so cynical. I have not been watching sci-fi films or anything, I have just been thinking about things I have learned.

Physics news on Phys.org
its going to be tough---

I either read or heard that about 80% of the large fish in the ocean compared to 100 years ago are gone, 80% of the virgin forests, and 80% of the large land animals---all gone just in the last hundred years---

ehrenfest said:
And if civilization is not totally destroyed, I think it would be so insanely different than it is now that it would scare us out of our minds if we saw it.
My mother's father was born in 1895 in the Polish shtetl and died at the age of 96 in suburban America. The civilization he left behind in Poland was totally destroyed. The new one he left behind when he died was insanely different. But he was not scared out of his mind. I won't make it to 2100 in any case, but I take each day one at a time and I change with the times. Anyway, don't be so gloomy, hopelessness is a self-fulfilling prediction.

whatever... discuss amongst yourselves; I'm joining this guy's team:

http://www.tacexterminators.com/oriental_cockroach_picture.jpeg

they know how it's done.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the main argument of "The Grim Future of Civilization: A Cynical Perspective"?

The main argument of this perspective is that our current societal systems and practices are unsustainable and will lead to the downfall of civilization. It argues that greed, overconsumption, and disregard for the environment will ultimately lead to the collapse of our society.

2. What evidence is provided to support this perspective?

The perspective draws on various historical events, current trends, and data to support its argument. It highlights the impact of climate change, depletion of natural resources, and economic inequality as key factors contributing to the grim future of civilization. It also looks at past civilizations that have collapsed due to similar issues.

3. Are there any proposed solutions to prevent this grim future?

Yes, the perspective suggests that in order to avoid the downfall of civilization, we must make significant changes to our societal systems and behaviors. This includes transitioning to a more sustainable and equitable economic model, reducing our consumption and waste, and prioritizing the protection of the environment.

4. How does this perspective address potential counterarguments?

The perspective acknowledges that there may be counterarguments and alternative viewpoints, but it argues that the evidence and trends point towards a grim future for civilization. It also emphasizes the urgency of taking action and the potential consequences of inaction.

5. Is there any hope for a better future according to this perspective?

The perspective acknowledges that the future may seem bleak, but it also highlights the potential for change and the resilience of humanity. It argues that by recognizing and addressing the issues at hand, we can work towards a more sustainable and prosperous future for all.