The gravitational field g due to a point

In summary: Assuming V is volume and m is mass, how can mass be a ratio between volume and mass? That is dimensionally impossible.
BadSkittles
The gravitational field g due to a point mass M may be obtained by analogy with the electric field by writing an expression for the gravitational force on a test mass, and dividing by the magnitude of the test mass, m. Show that Gauss' law for the gravitational field reads:

phi = oint g*dA=-4*pi*GM

where G is the gravitational constant.

Use this result to calculate the gravitational acceleration g at a distance of R/2 from the center of a planet of radius R = 6.15 x 1006 m and M = 4.25 x 1024 kg.

-------------------------------------------

Hi, I got the final equation to be g= G M / r^2. My final result was -29.9 m/s^2. But that's not correct. I don't see what i did wrong. Anyone has any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
That equation is correct outside the planet. But you need the acceleration at R/2 from the center.

does that mean i would have to take a fraction of the mass, because of the radius?

BadSkittles said:
does that mean i would have to take a fraction of the mass, because of the radius?

It probably does, but then you need to know the distribution of mass inside the planet.

I tried to divide the mass by 2, and the answer is still wrong. Do you know any way to solve this problem T-T

Why would you divide the mass by 2, and not by 123, for example? How did you use Gauss's law to obtain the equation?

I got g * Integral of dA = -4*pi G*M

g * 4 * pi * r^2= -4* pi* G*M

g= - GM/ r^2

Maybe the integral of dA is something else?

Last edited:
First of all, what is ## \int dA ## if you are asked for ##g## at ##R/2##?

Second, what is ##M## in this case?

∫ dA is your gaussian surface. Would that be 4/3 pi r^3 ? Since our radius is shortened. M is the Mass of the whole planet.

BadSkittles said:
∫ dA is your gaussian surface.

And what is the surface here?

M is the Mass of the whole planet.

Even including that outside the surface?

So the gaussian surface is 4 pi r^2 still, but the mass is a ratio between V and m?

Last edited:
BadSkittles said:
So the gaussian surface is 4 pi r^2 still

You did not answer the question. Explain the shape of the surface, and then what its area is.

but the mass is a ratio between V and m?

Assuming V is volume and m is mass, how can mass be a ratio between volume and mass? That is dimensionally impossible.

Likes 1 person
I think its m = M ( r^3/ R^3)

R is the radius of the planet, and M is its mass. What are r and m?

1. What is the definition of gravitational field?

The gravitational field, denoted as g, is a vector quantity that represents the force per unit mass exerted by a mass at a specific point in space.

2. How is the gravitational field calculated?

The gravitational field is calculated by dividing the force of gravity acting on a mass by the mass itself. It is also affected by the distance between the masses and the universal gravitational constant, G.

3. What is the difference between gravitational field and gravitational force?

The gravitational field represents the force per unit mass at a specific point, while gravitational force is the actual force of attraction between two masses. Gravitational field is a vector quantity, while gravitational force is a scalar quantity.

4. How does the gravitational field vary with distance?

The gravitational field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two masses. This means that as the distance increases, the gravitational field decreases.

5. What is the significance of the gravitational field?

The gravitational field is important because it explains the force of attraction between masses and helps us understand the motion of objects in space. It also plays a crucial role in the study of planetary and stellar systems, as well as the formation of galaxies.