The Greatest Discovery in Maths

• Thread starter antevante
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Discovery
In summary, during a conversation about preparing for application interviews, the question of the most important discovery in mathematics in modern times was brought up. Some suggestions were the RSA-algorithm, Gödels Incompleteness theorem, and the proof of Fermat's last theorem. However, the concept of zero and the discovery of algebraic geometry by Grothendieck were also mentioned. The significance of the RSA-algorithm and Ken Ono's crack of the partition number mystery were highlighted. It was also noted that repeating information or opinions heard from others is not beneficial in interviews, and that the interviewer will be looking for the applicant's own knowledge and interests.
antevante
Application interviews are comming up and it is always good to prepare for the question: "What is the most important discovery in mathematics (in modern time?), according to your oppinion?"

Is it the RSA-algorithm? Gödels Incompleteness theorem? The proof of Fermat's last theorem?

What do you maths-folk think?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
as simple as this will sound, i would have to say the concept of zero. zero was not a part of math for a long time. from what i heard/understand it was the aztecs or the incas that came up with the concept of zero/nothing.

Differential calculus come to mind.

Surely it is your opinion that counts at interview, and not someone else's? As it is I would not expect an incoming undergraduate to be able to give me a sensible answer to that question, since it is stupid to do so.

Instead I would look for motivated, interested people. People who can remember what they did in last week's class and who can cope with being given new material to digest on the spot.

Integration by First Principle Cracked

I FOUND A WAY TO INTEGRATE BY FIRST PRINCIPLE.
For example if we have dy/dx = 2x
dy + y = 2x(dx + x)
y = 2xdx + 2x^2 - dy
y = 2xdx + 2x^2 - 2xdx
y = 2x^2
y = x^2

I don't think it's our opinion that counts here. The interviewer will be looking for your interests you and what knowledge you have. Repeating from what you've heard won't benefit you, I think...

Anyway, one of the greatest discoveries in math is algebraic geometry by Grothendieck. This is really a marvelous piece of work...

micromass said:
I don't think it's our opinion that counts here. The interviewer will be looking for your interests you and what knowledge you have. Repeating from what you've heard won't benefit you, I think...

Hopefully the original poster managed to form his/her own opinion in the six years since he/she posted this thread. ;)

antevante said:
Is it the RSA-algorithm?

This is a huge milestone achievement. Keeping information secure is very important. Large numbers are difficult to factor, and being able to take advantage of this makes the RSA cryptosystem very powerful.

antevante said:
Application interviews are comming up and it is always good to prepare for the question: "What is the most important discovery in mathematics (in modern time?), according to your oppinion?"

Is it the RSA-algorithm? Gödels Incompleteness theorem? The proof of Fermat's last theorem?

If you want to be current, this is a pretty big discovery, the implications of which have yet, IMHO, to be fully recognized or appreciated, much less understood (I don't exclude myself...)...

Ken Ono cracks partition number mystery
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=465696

Just consider that the number of factorizations of prime powers is a partition number and so too the number of conjugacy classes of the symmetric group S_n. Now there is a clear bridge between these and the study of fractals.

EDIT: Of course, you would have had to be psychic to know that over 5 years ago...

Please note that this thread is 5.5yrs old. The OP is long gone.

Necrothread locked.

What is "The Greatest Discovery in Maths"?

"The Greatest Discovery in Maths" refers to the discovery of zero as a number and its implications in mathematics.

Who discovered zero as a number?

The concept of zero as a number was discovered independently by various ancient civilizations, such as the Babylonians, Mayans, and Indians. However, the first recorded use of zero as a number is credited to the Indian mathematician Brahmagupta in the 7th century.

Why is the discovery of zero significant in mathematics?

The discovery of zero revolutionized mathematics by providing a placeholder for empty spaces and allowing for the creation of the decimal system. It also opened up new areas of study, such as algebra and calculus, and made complex calculations and equations much easier to solve.

How does zero affect other numbers in mathematical operations?

Zero has unique properties in mathematical operations. For example, when added to a number, it does not change its value. However, when multiplied by a number, it results in a value of zero. Additionally, division by zero is undefined in mathematics.

What are the practical applications of zero in everyday life?

The concept of zero is used in various everyday applications, such as counting, measuring, and computing. It is essential in fields such as engineering, finance, and science, where precise calculations and measurements are crucial. It has also played a significant role in the development of technology, such as the creation of computers and digital devices.