1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The least constant acceleration

1. Sep 6, 2006 #1
    OK, heres the problem:
    A large plane needs to get to a speed of 360 km/h on it's runway in order to take off. The runway is 1.8 km long. What would be the least constant acceleration required to take off?

Physics just started, I need shock paddles to get me going again :surprised

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2006 #2

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

Please show your own work. You must at least have some idea as to what equations to use?

4. Sep 6, 2006 #3
    Would it have to have a constant acceleration of 200 km/h to reach it's top speed by the end of the runway, or am I missing something? :cry:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  5. Sep 7, 2006 #4
    Well, I divided 360 km/h by the distance, 1.8 km, and got 200. Is that the least constant acceleration needed to take off? I'm very confused.

6. Sep 7, 2006 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

7. Sep 7, 2006 #6
    So I think the next thing I need to do is figure out the time it takes to reach that speed along that distance. So what was this 200 I was getting? 200 km/h?

I have the speed, I have the distance, how do I find the time it took to do this, or am I going off course?

8. Sep 7, 2006 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

try

[tex] v^2 = u^2 +2as [/tex]

and rearrange for acceleration, a.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?