Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: The least constant acceleration

1. Sep 6, 2006 #1
    OK, heres the problem:
    A large plane needs to get to a speed of 360 km/h on it's runway in order to take off. The runway is 1.8 km long. What would be the least constant acceleration required to take off?

Physics just started, I need shock paddles to get me going again :surprised

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2006 #2

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

Please show your own work. You must at least have some idea as to what equations to use?

4. Sep 6, 2006 #3
    Would it have to have a constant acceleration of 200 km/h to reach it's top speed by the end of the runway, or am I missing something? :cry:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  5. Sep 7, 2006 #4
    Well, I divided 360 km/h by the distance, 1.8 km, and got 200. Is that the least constant acceleration needed to take off? I'm very confused.

6. Sep 7, 2006 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

7. Sep 7, 2006 #6
    So I think the next thing I need to do is figure out the time it takes to reach that speed along that distance. So what was this 200 I was getting? 200 km/h?

I have the speed, I have the distance, how do I find the time it took to do this, or am I going off course?

8. Sep 7, 2006 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

try

[tex] v^2 = u^2 +2as [/tex]

and rearrange for acceleration, a.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook