The length of an uncoiled spring

In summary, the question is about finding the length of an uncoiled spring and how it relates to the depth of a step in a spiral staircase. One method is to use the helix formula and determine the integral of the arc length from the beginning to the end of the helix. Another approach is to use the total height and number of steps to calculate the angle of each step and then use the angle and distance to the central axis to determine the depth of the step. Both methods involve some mathematical calculations, but can provide a solution to the problem.
lntz
Hi there,

my question is how would I find the length of an uncoiled spring?

I hope that is clear enough, but other ways of explaining what I'm looking for look like this: How would I find the length of a line that made a spring x meters high?

Or how would you know how long a piece of metal must be to manufacture a spring x meters high.

A little background info. I'm studying architecture and have been thinking about spiral stair cases. Knowing the elevation you hope to achieve via the staircase is useful for knowing how high/how many steps are required. But for knowing how "deep" a step must be (ie the horizontal element that you step on), it seems to me that it would be useful to calculate the entire "length" of your staircase.

I have considered thinking about the problem as having a step placed at regular intervals on a circle. So you would have x amount of circles stacked on top of each other, with steps that form a spiral. However i'd really like to know if there's some maths that can help me with my problem.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give! Lntz.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You could try the helix formula and do the arc length of it. Should work.

A spring is, as zapz suggested, is a helix. It can be modeled as [itex]x= r cos(t)[/itex], [itex]y= r sin(t)[/itex] [/tex]z= (h/2\pi)t[/tex] where "r" is the radius of the helix and "h" is the vertical distance between two consecutive "turns' of the helix. "t" is the parameter giving each point on the heiix as t varies.

[itex]dx/dt= -r sin(t)[/itex], [itex]dy/dt= r cos(t)[/itex], and [itex]dz/dt= h/2\pi[/itex].
The "differential of arclength is
[tex]\sqrt{(dx/dt)^2+ (dy/dt)^2+ (dz/dt)^2}dt=[/tex][tex]\sqrt{r^2sin^2(t)+ r^2cos^2(t)+ r^2sin^2(t)+ h^2/4\pi^2}dt[/tex][tex]= \sqrt{r^2+ h^2/4\pi^2}dt[/tex]

The total length is the integral of that from whatever t determines the beginning of the helix to whatever t determines the end of the helix. And, since that differential is a constant, it is just the that constant times the difference into two "t"s. In particular, if we take z= 0 as the start and z= H as the end, because [itex]z= (h/2\pi)t[/itex] we have [itex](h/2\pi)t= 0[/itex] at one end and [itex](h/2\pi)t= H[/itex] at the other so that t= 0 and [itex]t= 2\pi H/h[/itex] at the other.

The length of the helix is [itex](2\pi H/h)\sqrt{r^2+ h^2/4\pi^2}dt[/itex]

Since you are asking about the depth of each step, you find an exact description without considering the length of a helix. Using Halls notation, we have the total height of the staircase = H. Presumably, the height of an individual step is standardized, so let's call it s.

If N is the total number of steps then N = H/s.

If you completely neglect the change in height as you go around the staircase, then what happens is that each step takes you a certain angle, A, around the circle. Using Halls' notation, let h be the number of times your staircase wraps around. Then the total angle you go around is 2∏h. Since their are N steps, that means

2∏h = NA.

And N = H/s, so A = 2∏hs/H.

That is the angle of the step. Its horizontal "depth" is equal to the angle times the distance, R, to the central axis of the staircase.

Depth = R* (2∏hs/H)

The value of R changes from the inside to the outside of the step. That is why there is more room for you foot on the outer edge of the spiral than on the inner edge.

Hello Lntz,

To find the length of an uncoiled spring, you will need to use a mathematical formula that takes into account the properties of the spring, such as its material, diameter, and number of coils. This formula is known as Hooke's law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to its extension or compression.

To apply this formula to your problem, you will first need to measure the properties of your spring, such as its diameter and number of coils. You can then use these values, along with the force applied to the spring, to calculate the length of the uncoiled spring.

As for your question about spiral staircases, there are indeed mathematical formulas that can help you calculate the length of a spiral staircase. These formulas take into account the height of the staircase, the angle of the spiral, and the radius of the staircase. You can find these formulas and their derivations online or in textbooks on geometry and architecture.

I hope this helps! Best of luck with your studies.

What is the length of an uncoiled spring?

The length of an uncoiled spring is the distance between the two ends of the spring when it is in its relaxed state.

How is the length of an uncoiled spring measured?

The length of an uncoiled spring is typically measured in either inches or centimeters using a ruler or caliper.

Does the material of the spring affect its length?

Yes, the material of the spring can affect its length. Different materials have different stiffness and elasticity, which can impact the length of the uncoiled spring.

What factors can cause the length of an uncoiled spring to change?

The length of an uncoiled spring can change due to factors such as temperature, pressure, and external forces applied to the spring.

How can the length of an uncoiled spring be calculated?

The length of an uncoiled spring can be calculated using the spring constant, the force applied to the spring, and the amount of compression or extension of the spring. This can be done using the equation F = kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position.