1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The limit as x approaches 1 of x / ln (x)

1. Sep 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi. I'm having problems with the limit of x --> 1 of ( x / ln(x) ).

2. Relevant equations

L'Hopital's Rule
    Algebraic Manipulation

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand that the the limit will give me a semi-indeterminate form (that is, it's answer is 1 / 0).

What I don't understand is how I can manipulate ln (x) so it's not in the denominator. I tried thinking of ways to use e^x.... but realized that multiplying by e^x does nothing. I'm presuming that we can raise both the numerator and the denominator by e^x but was not sure if it was legitimate.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you are getting the 'semi-indefinite form' 1/0, you can forget about manipulating it further. The limit doesn't exist.

4. Sep 6, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Any time you have a ratio of two continuous functions, and just putting the value gives 1/0 (or more generally any non-zero value over 0) the limit does not exist. As x gets closer and closer to the "target value" the numerator stays close to 1 while the denominator gets close to 0. I.e. the fraction gets larger and larger. There is no limit.

5. Sep 6, 2008 #4
    Thanks, both. I understand it now. I made a numerical table to estimate the limit.... and as you two pointed out... the limit does not exist (infinite discontinuities).

6. Apr 9, 2011 #5
    well i don't think so maybe I'm wrong but let's see

lim as x->1 (x/lnx) now me remove the natural lag

lim as x->1 ( e^x/ x) so as X approaches 1 we get lim x->1 (e^1/1)=e :)

and yes it's legit :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  7. Apr 9, 2011 #6

gb7nash

Homework Helper

To add to this, the limit could be infinity, -infinity, or not exist. If you have something like [tex]\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{1}{x}[/tex], x could approach 0 from the left, from the right, or from both directions. In this case, we can't put a definitive answer.

Note: This only works if you include the extended real line. If not, then it wouldn't exist at all.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  8. Apr 9, 2011 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What makes you think that you can remove the natural "lag" (sic) in this way?

As was already said, this limit does not exist. The two one-sided limits are as far apart as they could possibly be.
    [tex]\lim_{x \to 1^+}\frac{x}{ln(x)} = \infty[/tex]
    while
    [tex]\lim_{x \to 1^-}\frac{x}{ln(x)} = -\infty[/tex]

9. Apr 10, 2011 #8
    Actually ex/lnx cannot be simplified unlike elnx = x. For your second expression you'll get:

[tex]
    \lim_{x \to 1^+}e^(x/lnx) = \infty
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \lim_{x \to 1^-}e^(x/lnx) = 0
    [/tex]

10. May 1, 2011 #9

sorry yes I'm wrong... but you don't have to be rude and I know that you have to write log instead of "LAG" but please it's not the end of world.

11. May 2, 2011 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There was nothing rude about Mark44's response.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?