Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Limits of Prediction: Students’ Conceptions of Chaotic Behavior in Nonlinear Sys.

1. Nov 3, 2006 #1
    My UC Berkeley Master's Thesis in physics education is attached. It has to do with students' conceptions of the limits of prediction in chaotic systems.
    Feel free to read it and to let me know what you think.

Take Care,

Jed Stamas
    Cambridge, MA

jed underscore stamas at yahoo dot com

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2007 #2
    Hey Jed,

I read read some of your thesis, it's very interesting.

I too am finishing up a master's (in EE) and planning on teaching high school physics.

It's interesting how an important concept in modern physics, and engineering, like the chaotic and nonlinear nature of many systems, can be taught, even at some level, to senior high school students.

Such concepts are usually reserved for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year university classes.

It's something important to know, since the classical physics background can give you the idea that all systems are perfectly predictable and linear. Such is not the case for most real systems, nor can we model any system perfectly.

-Matt

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?