1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The magnetic field strength required to oscillate an electron

1. Apr 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"An electron is accelerated by a potential difference of 1 V and is injected into vacuum. How strong should the magnetic field in a vacuum be if you want the electron to circle along a loop with a radius of 10^-1m? Please indicate the direction of the magnetic field"

2. Relevant equations

PE = KE
    for speed

F_centripetal =( mv^2) / r
    for force

B = qv/F
    for field strength

3. The attempt at a solution

v = sqrt(2qV/m)
    v= 5.93 E5 m/s

F = 3.2 E-18 Newtons

B = 3 E4 Tesla

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2014 #2
    Not a textbook question...

4. Apr 8, 2014 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Better check that one.

5. Apr 11, 2014 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It is a good practice to carry units along for all quantities in all of your equations. If you had done so, you would have caught this error that rude man is pointing out...

6. Apr 11, 2014 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I hope you listen to berkeman. There's nothing more important than carrying units along. Then you can check expressions term-by-term for agreement and the correctness of the answer. Which is (one reason) why I oppose using numbers instead of symbols until the very end, and why I abhor labeling e.g. a dependent voltage source as "10I" where I is current and the "10" is meant to be some impedance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted