The more you sleep, the more you feel tired?

• Thread starter l-1j-cho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sleep
In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of sleep the speaker gets compared to their peers and their constant feeling of tiredness. They also mention dreaming every night and potential causes for their sleeping patterns, such as stress, hormones, and anemia. There is also a mention of the importance of sleep for teenagers and the suggestion to consult a doctor if the issue persists. Additionally, there is a discussion on the balance between social life, work, and sleep and the impact it can have on one's health and academics.
l-1j-cho
I am an ordinary high school studnet and I sleep about ten hours a day while many of my friends in my home country sleep about three-four hours a day. It looks like I sleep more than the average, where I have heard that an abverage person sleeps 8 hours a day, but I always feel tired. Also, I dream every night, but I didn't when I was young.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmmm... are you overweight? Do you snore? You might have sleepp apnea...

Or you could just be a sleepy guy, people do vary.

nismaratwork said:

I am actually rather underweight, 5'6 and 140. And I don't think I snore. Maybe because my school is like 20 minutes away by car. I wasn't that tired last year when I went to school nearby.

But still, I am just curious why I dream everyday.

Ok, well, swing and a miss on my part! Sorry man... it may be allergies, or diet, or simply stress, workload or hormones.

It COULD be some kind of anemia, but I doubt it.

nismaratwork said:

nismaratwork said:
Ok, well, swing and a miss on my part! Sorry man... it may be allergies, or diet, or simply stress, workload or hormones.

It COULD be some kind of anemia, but I doubt it.

I think it just because of my endocrine system. It secretes excessive hormones than the average. My nose get greasy 30 minutes after I take shower (I take shower 3 times a day because of this!) and I got loads of acnes on my face, even on my back.

l-1j-cho said:
I think it just because of my endocrine system. It secretes excessive hormones than the average. My nose get greasy 30 minutes after I take shower (I take shower 3 times a day because of this!) and I got loads of acnes on my face, even on my back.

You're in HS, so... puberty man, it sounds perfectly normal to me. No fun at all of course, but normal, and sleepy teens are not uncommon. :wink:

As long as apnea isn't an issue, and clearly it's not likely to be, just try not to get too dependant on caffeine; that's for late college and grad school.

l-1j-cho said:
I am an ordinary high school studnet and I sleep about ten hours a day while many of my friends in my home country sleep about three-four hours a day. It looks like I sleep more than the average, where I have heard that an abverage person sleeps 8 hours a day, but I always feel tired. Also, I dream every night, but I didn't when I was young.

Well, I sleep almost 9 hours per day on average.
I think it is because I tend to think more than other people.

Nowadays I don't dream much any more, but I usually do when there are things bothering me.
Like whether a girl likes me or not, or when I'm stuck on a problem that frustrates me.
Or when I'm not functioning well in a group environment. Or when I feel pressured by expectations.

nismaratwork said:
just try not to get too dependant on caffeine; that's for late college and grad school.

hang on a sec, do you pull all-nighters often in college?

Personal anecdote, but whenever I oversleep, I get tired. If you cut down your hours a bit and get up and start exercising every mornin, you may, like me, find more enrgy comes out of it.

How many meals do you eat a day? Don't skip breakfast!

Pythagorean said:
Personal anecdote, but whenever I oversleep, I get tired. If you cut down your hours a bit and get up and start exercising every mornin, you may, like me, find more enrgy comes out of it.

How many meals do you eat a day? Don't skip breakfast!

I never skip breakfast :) Although I might miss my bus sometimes

Teenagers generally need a little more sleep than adults. The only time HGH is released in the human body is during the deep stages of sleep, so getting a good night's sleep is important for teens.

Talk to a doctor if you're concerned, do not take my advice, but it sounds pretty normal to me.

l-1j-cho said:

Go to your personal physician and report this if it's been bothering you, there are several possible causes ranging from physiological to psychological though you need to be properly checked by a certified medical professional.

i think dreaming is a good sign. it was when i wasn't dreaming that things were going downhill.

there is another aspect to this, too. you might want to experiment a bit to find your optimal sleep time. i can't go much below 7 without problems, and if i get more than 9 i can expect to feel groggy the rest of the day.

3-4 hours a day is insane. that kind of crap is what turns docs into soulless psychos.

l-1j-cho said:
hang on a sec, do you pull all-nighters often in college?

I would say...

"You have three elements to scholastic life:
1.) A social life
2.) Your work
3.) Sleep

Pick two."

To some degree, that's true depending on how well you handle your academics and social predilictions. Sleep is usually what suffers however, although your way of sleeping is FAR better for your health, and learning.

I suspect that your sleep is a result of a growing lad, and that means more muscle repair during REM, more energy expended.

@Proton Soup: I wish you were exaggerating, but you're not... and it's too damned true. Nothing like seeing an attending with the million mile stare, because you know the residents must be the walking dead.

Proton Soup said:
i think dreaming is a good sign. it was when i wasn't dreaming that things were going downhill.

there is another aspect to this, too. you might want to experiment a bit to find your optimal sleep time. i can't go much below 7 without problems, and if i get more than 9 i can expect to feel groggy the rest of the day.

3-4 hours a day is insane. that kind of crap is what turns docs into soulless psychos.

Dreaming is primarily an occurance during REM sleep, which is also a period where the majority of muscle repair occurs, and many of the benefits of memory and learning "organization" and enhancement occurs. No dreams tends to mean that your sleep is being disturbed by some chemical or environmental issue.

nismaratwork said:
Dreaming is primarily an occurance during REM sleep, which is also a period where the majority of muscle repair occurs, and many of the benefits of memory and learning "organization" and enhancement occurs. No dreams tends to mean that your sleep is being disturbed by some chemical or environmental issue.

I thought that muscle repairs chiefly occurred during delta wave sleep.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/excessive-sleepiness-10/sleep-101

During the deep stages of NREM sleep, the body repairs and regenerates tissues, builds bone and muscle, and appears to strengthen the immune system.

(NREM means Non-REM)

Jack21222 said:
I thought that muscle repairs chiefly occurred during delta wave sleep.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/excessive-sleepiness-10/sleep-101

(NREM means Non-REM)

It's not clear, because it IS during stage 4 (NREM) that growth hormone is secreted, but it seems to be during REM, AFAIK, that the actual repairs occur. Perhaps it has something to do with the paralyitic effects of REM... honestly, sleep and dreams and how it all works is not that clear.

l-1j-cho said:

I was just like that around the same age. The intense dreams, constantly, actually keeping me asleep. Difficult to describe. Impossible to stop the dreaming, yet also impossible to wake up from them.

Things finally changed when I discovered alcohol, although I wouldn't recommend that.

Hmm, in retrospect, perhaps you should seek some help... :uhh:

(but I'm feeling much better now)

What is the scientific explanation behind feeling more tired when sleeping more?

Sleep is a complex process that involves several stages, including deep sleep and REM sleep. When we oversleep, we disrupt this natural pattern and can wake up feeling groggy and tired. This is because oversleeping can lead to an imbalance in our sleep cycle, causing us to wake up during a deep sleep stage, which makes us feel more tired.

Is there a recommended amount of sleep that can prevent feeling tired?

The recommended amount of sleep for adults is 7-9 hours per night. This amount may vary for individuals, but consistently getting the recommended amount of sleep can help prevent feeling tired during the day. It is also important to maintain a consistent sleep schedule to regulate the body's sleep-wake cycle.

Can oversleeping lead to other negative effects besides feeling tired?

Oversleeping can have several negative effects on our health, including an increased risk of obesity, diabetes, and heart disease. It can also lead to cognitive impairment, such as difficulty concentrating and memory problems. Oversleeping can also disrupt our natural circadian rhythm, making it harder to fall asleep at night.

Is there a difference between feeling tired and feeling fatigued after sleeping?

Feeling tired and feeling fatigued are two distinct sensations. Feeling tired generally refers to a lack of energy and feeling sleepy, while feeling fatigued is a feeling of physical and mental exhaustion. Oversleeping can contribute to both feelings, but feeling fatigued may indicate a more significant underlying health issue.

Can lifestyle choices affect how tired we feel after sleeping?

Yes, lifestyle choices such as diet, exercise, and stress levels can all impact how tired we feel after sleeping. Eating a healthy diet and staying physically active can improve the quality of our sleep and help us wake up feeling more refreshed. Additionally, managing stress levels and practicing good sleep hygiene can also contribute to feeling less tired after sleeping.