Pengwuino
Gold Member
Yah im sure it is. Its chemistry.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Beeza said:
:grumpy: I give up :cry: But, I think that biochemistry is a difficult major, and The University of Illinois is a good school.
If you throw the penguin a fish, he goes away for a while. :rolleyes:

4-5 hours a week isn't that hard to find. I didn't realize you could reach your level of bodybuilding with that few of hours working out. You might find it more challenging to get time away from the lab to travel to competitions, but taking time out for a workout, no matter whether it's competition level body building or some much "wimpier" level of exercise, is a good way to manage the stress of grad school and give yourself a daily mental break, which you'll find you'll need.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I was having fun teasing him

*goes and chews on the fish*

franznietzsche said:
When I was working last summer, one of my coworkers asked me what I was studying. When I said I planned to go into astrophysics the first thing out of their mouth was "Oh, is that like astrology?" I wanted to slap 'em so hard....
I've heard such stories from the amateur community. They felt the same way as you did. :biggrin:

rcgldr
Homework Helper
I've been weightlifting for 3.5 years
Weightlifting or body-building? Getting ready for a contest, dehydrating by not drinking and sometimes taking diuretics, never seemed very healthty to me. It took a few days to a week or so for the bodybuilders I saw to recover from a contest. Then again, running a marathon probably does more harm than good, and the 100 mile super marathons are even worse.

A gym I used to work out at was taken over by the Gold's gym chain. We had a few current and ex-body builders. For the most part they were in descent shape, except most of them had back problems from doing squats. They now recommend using the hack squat machine instead of traditional squats. Front squats don't put as much strain on your back, but it seemed only the power lifters were doing front squats. Still the hack squat machine seems the least likely to cause back strain.

At Yale for many years was a physics professor named Peter Parker! He seemed your average Ivy League overachiever. There were rumors, however, that he originated the Web.

um, i doubt many even know a small bit of physics. of course, not many of us are physics experts, so your really asking the general public.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
um, i doubt many even know a small bit of physics. of course, not many of us are physics experts, so your really asking the general public.
Actually, we have many physics experts here.

I had posted this in the joke thread as an engineer joke [as told by an engineer] but thought it worked well here.

How can you tell if a physicist is an extravert?

He looks at your shoes when he talks to you.

No need to make a physicist look like a heel.

gallifreyboun
Whenever people ask what I did my undergrad in (I'm in a master's of education program...gonna teach high school) they're always shocked and the general reply is "...but you're a girl." Who knew? It really explains a lot about my life since, well, puberty.