The movie proof (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Has anyone seen it? Is it good? I heard it was about a physcist or something.

Comes out tomorrow. I want to see it, and see if the big PROOF is truly amazing or falls short of that. Anthony Hopkins is a good actor.

I'm not getting my hopes up... sounds like more of a love story/drama. Probably not much actual science in it.

A devoted daughter (Gwyneth Paltrow) comes to terms with the death of her father (Anthony Hopkins), a brilliant mathematician whose genius was crippled by mental insanity - and is forced to face her own long-harbored fears and emotions. She adjusts to his death with the help of one of her father's former mathematical students (Jake Gyllenhaal), who searches through her father's notebooks in the hope of discovering a bit of his old brilliance. While coming to terms with the possibility that his genius, which she has inherited, may come at a painful price, her sister (Hope Davis) arrives to help settle their father's affairs.
http://www.miramax.com/proof/

I saw a stage production of this about 4 years ago, I didn't realise it was being made into a movie. It wasn't bad, but nothing special. There wasn't anything scientific in it though, just a brief mention that the proof had something to do with prime numbers or something, it was all about the characters etc.

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving