Have You Seen 'The Movie Proof'? Is It About a Physicist?

• Thread starter QuantumTheory
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie Proof
In summary, the conversation is about a movie called "Proof" which is coming out tomorrow. The movie is about a physicist who struggles with mental illness and his daughter, who is also a mathematician, must come to terms with his death and her own emotions. The conversation also mentions that the movie may not have much actual science in it and may focus more on the characters and their relationships.
QuantumTheory
Has anyone seen it? Is it good? I heard it was about a physicst or something.

Physics news on Phys.org
Comes out tomorrow. I want to see it, and see if the big PROOF is truly amazing or falls short of that. Anthony Hopkins is a good actor.

I'm not getting my hopes up... sounds like more of a love story/drama. Probably not much actual science in it.

A devoted daughter (Gwyneth Paltrow) comes to terms with the death of her father (Anthony Hopkins), a brilliant mathematician whose genius was crippled by mental insanity - and is forced to face her own long-harbored fears and emotions. She adjusts to his death with the help of one of her father's former mathematical students (Jake Gyllenhaal), who searches through her father's notebooks in the hope of discovering a bit of his old brilliance. While coming to terms with the possibility that his genius, which she has inherited, may come at a painful price, her sister (Hope Davis) arrives to help settle their father's affairs.

http://www.miramax.com/proof/

I saw a stage production of this about 4 years ago, I didn't realize it was being made into a movie. It wasn't bad, but nothing special. There wasn't anything scientific in it though, just a brief mention that the proof had something to do with prime numbers or something, it was all about the characters etc.

1. What is the movie "Proof" about?

The movie "Proof" is a drama that explores the relationship between a mathematician named Robert and his daughter Catherine, who is also a brilliant mathematician. After Robert's death, Catherine must deal with her own mental health struggles and the possibility that she has inherited her father's genius.

2. Is "Proof" based on a true story?

No, "Proof" is not based on a true story. It is a fictional story written by playwright David Auburn and adapted into a film by director John Madden.

3. Is the movie about a physicist or a mathematician?

The main characters in "Proof" are mathematicians, not physicists. The movie explores themes of mathematics, logic, and mental illness, but does not focus on physics or physicists.

4. Who stars in "Proof"?

The movie "Proof" stars Gwyneth Paltrow as Catherine, Anthony Hopkins as Robert, and Jake Gyllenhaal as Hal. The film also features Hope Davis as Claire, Catherine's sister, and Danny McCarthy as a graduate student named Chet.

5. What are some key themes in "Proof"?

Some key themes in "Proof" include the relationship between genius and mental illness, the complicated dynamics of family and love, and the search for truth and proof in both mathematics and personal relationships.