The Mysterious Water Bottle: Uncovering the Physics Behind It

In summary, when the top valve is open, water flows freely out the bottom of the bottle, but if you close the valve, the water stops flowing. If you leave the valve open, nothing flows in. If you close the valve, the air pressure in the bottle above the water decreases.
Einstein60
Today, I filled a bottle with water and I created a small hole beneath the bottle on the side. I realized that if I open the cock of the bottle, the water flowed out of the hole but if I close it, the water stopped flowing. WHY?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As I understand it, you have a bottle with an opening at the top and a valve on the opening.

You have added a small hole at the bottom (small enough so that air does not bubble in through it). You notice that when the top valve is open that the water flows freely out the bottom. But if you close the valve at the top, water no longer flows out.

If you leave the valve open at the top, does anything flow into the bottle through the opening?

If you close the valve, what happens to the air pressure in the bottle above the water if some water, hypothetically, continues to flow out the hole?

Likes vanhees71 and berkeman
jbriggs444 said:
As I understand it, you have a bottle with an opening at the top and a valve on the opening.

You have added a small hole at the bottom (small enough so that air does not bubble in through it). You notice that when the top valve is open that the water flows freely out the bottom. But if you close the valve at the top, water no longer flows out.

If you leave the valve open at the top, does anything flow into the bottle through the opening?

If you close the valve, what happens to the air pressure in the bottle above the water if some water, hypothetically, continues to flow out the hole?
Can you please explain further

Einstein60 said:
Can you please explain further
Can you answer either question?

Likes vanhees71
No

• Skeptical
Likes Motore
Einstein60 said:
No
You will do better here if you make an effort. We're here to teach, not to spoon feed.

Likes vanhees71 and jbriggs444
russ_watters said:
You will do better here if you make an effort. We're here to teach not, not to spoon feed.
Okay.

1. What makes the water bottle appear to be moving on its own?

The movement of the water bottle is caused by a phenomenon known as Brownian motion. This is the random movement of particles suspended in a fluid, such as water molecules in the bottle. The constant collisions between these particles create a net force that causes the water bottle to move in a seemingly random manner.

2. Why does the water bottle sometimes move faster or slower?

The speed of the water bottle's movement is influenced by several factors, including the temperature of the surrounding environment and the viscosity of the fluid. Higher temperatures and lower viscosity will result in faster movement, while lower temperatures and higher viscosity will result in slower movement.

3. Can this phenomenon be observed in other liquids besides water?

Yes, Brownian motion can be observed in any fluid, including liquids such as oil, alcohol, and even air. However, the movement may be more difficult to see in thicker or more viscous fluids.

4. Is there a specific size or shape of water bottle that works best for this experiment?

The size and shape of the water bottle do not significantly affect the movement caused by Brownian motion. However, a larger bottle may be easier to observe, and a cylindrical shape may provide a more consistent movement compared to a bottle with irregular shapes.

5. How does this phenomenon relate to other scientific concepts?

Brownian motion is closely related to the concept of diffusion, which is the movement of particles from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. It is also related to the kinetic theory of matter, which explains the behavior of particles in a substance based on their motion and energy.