Unravelling the Mystery of the Neutron

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for a good theoretical explanation of the neutron and acknowledging their limited understanding of it. They receive a suggestion to look at Wikipedia and Hyperphysics, but the link provided does not work. A corrected link is then provided.
mintparasol
Hi there,
I'm a lay person and would appreciate if anyone could point me in the direction of a good theoretical explanation of the neutron. All I can remember from high school physics is an explanation that went something like:- "Uh, well it doesn't actually do anything, it's just there do make up atomic weight or something"

I'm sure our understanding of the neutron is far more advanced than that and that the neutron is more than just a 'makeweight' in atomic structure.
Any replies greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
ad

Physics news on Phys.org
malawi_glenn said:
Wikipedia is a good starting point. And Hyperphysics (http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/ )

That link doesn't work

What is a neutron?

A neutron is a subatomic particle found in the nucleus of an atom. It has a mass slightly larger than a proton and has no electric charge.

How was the neutron discovered?

The neutron was discovered in 1932 by James Chadwick through his experiments using alpha particles to bombard different elements. He observed that the radiation produced by beryllium atoms was able to penetrate materials that alpha particles could not, leading to the discovery of the neutron.

What is the role of neutrons in the atomic nucleus?

Neutrons play a critical role in the stability of the atomic nucleus. They help to bind protons together through the strong nuclear force, preventing them from repelling each other due to their positive charge. The number of neutrons in an atom can also affect its properties, such as its stability and reactivity.

What are some applications of neutrons in science and technology?

Neutrons have a variety of uses in science and technology, such as in nuclear reactors for energy production, in neutron scattering techniques for studying materials and biomolecules, and in medical imaging for cancer treatment and diagnostics.

Why is understanding the neutron important?

Understanding the neutron is crucial for our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of matter. It also has practical applications in various fields, and further research on neutrons can lead to advancements in energy production, medicine, and materials science.