The Office Finale: Did You Cry?

• Thread starter WannabeNewton
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the finale of the show The Office and the emotional attachment the participants had to the characters. While some did not cry, they were still sad to see the show end. The discussion also touched on the inclusion of Michael Scott in the finale and the possibility of finding another show to replace The Office. The conversation also mentioned the show Psych and another favorite show, Arrested Development, which is making a comeback.
WannabeNewton
Science Advisor
You cried didn't you? Don't tell me you didn't cry after watching the finale. I cried :frown: I've been watching the show loyally since it first came out and I don't think there is any other sitcom I have liked more in the accumulated years. When Steve Carrell left the show, it definitely took a huge blow but it was still very funny, in my opinion, so I kept watching. Come finale time, I was in tears before it started. I hate finales because they always make me cry (Boy Meets World finale anyone?) but this one hurt like hell. Anyone else sad that The Office is over? It was such a brilliant show. I don't know anything that could replace it. All I have left now is Psych :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
No, I don't watch TV.

Couldn't identify with the humor of the show. Prolonged awkwardness, sarcasm and silence just never appealed to me.

surprise said:
Prolonged awkwardness, sarcasm and silence just never appealed to me.
The prolonged awkwardness is the best part lol. I just love it. For sarcasm I always have the Colbert Report.

I cannot ever remember having such as strong an emotional attachment that you seem to have to a sitcom show on television. They are not real people in case you did not know that. Never watched the Office and have never heard of Psych.

256bits said:
I cannot ever remember having such as strong an emotional attachment that you seem to have to a sitcom show on television. They are not real people in case you did not know that. Never watched the Office and have never heard of Psych.

No ****. I didn't realize that the purpose of this thread was to spell out the most blatantly obvious things about fictional TV.
______

Back on topic: I didn't cry, but was definitely sad. However, I was pleased with the closure that they had; I wasn't left with any questions, and all in all, everyone seemed happy.

256bits said:
Wow. Thank you for that brilliant insight. I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I try to reach into my tv and shake the characters' hands. Pardon me while I erase from my memory all notions of the reality of television characters.

Why did you comment on a thread about The Office, just to say you have never watched it? What were you trying to prove? That you can make fun of strangers on the internet?

256bits said:

I think it's perfectly normal to have an emotial attachment to fictional things. It makes your life much richer and deeper. It's sad you never experienced such a thing.

In my case, I don't really have much attachment to television series, but I do have a very strong emotial attachment to characters in books. I always feel incredibly sad if I finished a good book.

Yes, characters on television and books aren't real. But you've come to know their hopes and dreams. You experience their good and bad moments. After a while, you start caring for them. This is why fiction is worth it.

You mention not having a strong attachment to fictional characters. I don't think this is something to be proud on.

No I didn't cry. My wife was a little emotional. We joke that they are our "beloved characters".

I'm sure glad they didn't make Pam the ultimate ***** by sabotaging her husband as she had been in the previous episodes.

Great show, but it was time to bring it to an end. They did a good job with the finale though, finales can be tough to pull off.

ModusPwnd said:
No I didn't cry. My wife was a little emotional. We joke that they are our "beloved characters".
That's quite sweet actually :smile:

ModusPwnd said:
I'm sure glad they didn't make Pam the ultimate ***** by sabotaging her husband as she had been in the previous episodes.
OMG yes I was so scared that Pam and Jim would break up and the entire Office world would come a' crashin' down. It would be like when Rachel and Ross broke up in Friends...but worse because this was near the end of the show. But then they had that episode where the two reconcile at the end, and that was a really well done moment I must say.

ModusPwnd said:
Great show, but it was time to bring it to an end. They did a good job with the finale though, finales can be tough to pull off.
Indeed. It was bittersweet and the inclusion of Michael Scott was probably my most favorite part. I tend to get emotional at pretty much all show finales I watch though. The Boy Meets World finale destroyed my emotional being :frown:

I cried too :(!
I've been watching it for the last 6 years or so, and it was pretty tough... I really liked how they wrapped everything up, it was a nice ending. Psych is great, but it's not the only thing out there. Do you know Arrested Development? It's one of my favorite shows, and it's coming back (7 years after it was cancelled) on May 26 :D.

guitarphysics said:
Do you know Arrested Development? It's one of my favorite shows, and it's coming back (7 years after it was cancelled) on May 26 :D.
I know of it but never watched it. Fredrik knows all too well that I have a hard time watching tv shows that aren't comedy with the exception of Pretty Little Liars and Degrassi lol. Ironically, when it comes to movies, romantic comedies are my favorite.

WannabeNewton said:
I know of it but never watched it. Fredrik knows all too well that I have a hard time watching tv shows that aren't comedy with the exception of Pretty Little Liars and Degrassi lol. Ironically, when it comes to movies, romantic comedies are my favorite.

Arrested Development is a comedy, though. And a great one, at that.

WannabeNewton said:
You cried didn't you? Don't tell me you didn't cry after watching the finale. I cried :frown: I've been watching the show loyally since it first came out and I don't think there is any other sitcom I have liked more in the accumulated years. When Steve Carrell left the show, it definitely took a huge blow but it was still very funny, in my opinion, so I kept watching. Come finale time, I was in tears before it started. I hate finales because they always make me cry (Boy Meets World finale anyone?) but this one hurt like hell. Anyone else sad that The Office is over? It was such a brilliant show. I don't know anything that could replace it. All I have left now is Psych :frown:

Never watched The Office (either the Brit or the Yank versions), but I am a big fan of Psych. However, I kind of think it jumped the shark after a couple of great seasons, long before Juliet and Shawn hooked up. And now that they're sort of broken up (or are they back together? Who knows? Who really cares?), it frankly stinks even more. I'm kind of wishing it'll end soon but with proper closure - I hate it when series that I'm emotionally invested in end abruptly without an appropriately dignified resolution.

Right now, the very best thing on TV, as far as I'm concerned, is Breaking Bad. Well, it's technically on hiatus till August (I think), when what promises to be an amazing run of the 8 final episodes airs.

I'm also watching Game of Thrones, but can't understand the hype about it being the "best thing on TV" - I don't see the attraction. It's not a bad show by any means, but Spartacus recently did all this, and did it far more engagingly and luridly. *And* Spartacus was based on real events, unlike the completely made up universe of GoT. That may not matter to many, but it matters to me.

Other shows that I'm currently following (that I've watched from the very start): The Mentalist, Hannibal, The Big Bang Theory, Boardwalk Empire, South Park and Homeland (which I find overrated and irritating, but I'm a completionist).

Curious3141 said:
Never watched The Office (either the Brit or the Yank versions), but I am a big fan of Psych. However, I kind of think it jumped the shark after a couple of great seasons, long before Juliet and Shawn hooked up. And now that they're sort of broken up (or are they back together? Who knows? Who really cares?), it frankly stinks even more. I'm kind of wishing it'll end soon but with proper closure - I hate it when series that I'm emotionally invested in end abruptly without an appropriately dignified resolution.
I think they got back together...although I really can't tell lol. I think at this point I just watch the show because Gus is the funniest guy ever since the Monty Python folks and Jules is mindblowingly pretty.

Curious3141 said:
Right now, the very best thing on TV, as far as I'm concerned, is Breaking Bad. Well, it's technically on hiatus till August (I think), when what promises to be an amazing run of the 8 final episodes airs.
I'm not a fan of the show but that's mainly because I have a hard time getting into shows that aren't comedy. I have enough drama in my own life lol.

Curious3141 said:
I'm also watching Game of Thrones, but can't understand the hype about it being the "best thing on TV" - I don't see the attraction. It's not a bad show by any means, but Spartacus recently did all this, and did it far more engagingly and luridly. *And* Spartacus was based on real events, unlike the completely made up universe of GoT. That may not matter to many, but it matters to me.
I don't like Game of Thrones either. Far too much nudity - it is beyond awkward. You can tell from the level of violence and nudity that it was perfectly catered to American audiences :wink:

Curious3141 said:
Other shows that I'm currently following (that I've watched from the very start): The Mentalist, Hannibal, The Big Bang Theory, Boardwalk Empire, South Park and Homeland (which I find overrated and irritating, but I'm a completionist).
South park is awesome and BBT I liked at the start but now it just plain sucks.

The BBC has some awesome shows. Sherlock was the great thing I've ever seen in my life next to Clockwork Orange and the LOTR trilogy. Its too bad they make so few episodes but I can't wait for it to come back.

1. What happened to Michael Scott in the finale?

In the finale, it is revealed that Michael moved to Colorado with his wife Holly and their children. He returns to Scranton for Dwight's wedding and shares a heartwarming moment with his former coworkers.

2. Did Jim and Pam get a happy ending?

Yes, Jim and Pam's relationship is stronger than ever in the finale. They have grown their family and are shown to be thriving in their personal and professional lives.

3. What becomes of the Dunder Mifflin branch in the finale?

The Dunder Mifflin branch in Scranton is shut down by Sabre CEO, Jo Bennett. However, the employees are offered new positions within the company and most of them end up staying together at the same branch.

4. Do we find out who the Scranton Strangler is?

Although there are theories and hints throughout the series, the identity of the Scranton Strangler is never officially revealed in the finale. However, there are some clues that suggest it may be Toby Flenderson.

5. Is there a time jump in the finale?

Yes, the finale jumps ahead one year after the documentary has aired. This allows for closure on the characters and their storylines, as well as a glimpse into their future.