The Optical Theorem for Feynman Diagrams

In summary: I think there might be another argument without using the explicit form of the diagrams (indeed P&S make their statement before starting their computation of the s channel diagram) but I don't see it yet.In summary, Peskin states in his textbook that for the case of equal mass scattering, the Mandelstam variables t and u do not correspond to branch cut singularities for s above threshold. This is because the physical domain of the variables restricts them to be greater than or equal to zero for t and u, and s must be above 4m^2. At loop level, the t and u diagrams may contribute an imaginary part but are still in the
phylz
In Peskin's textbook section 7.3 The Optical Theorem for Feynman Diagrams(Page233), he said it is easy to check that the corresponding t- and u-channel diagrams have no branch cut singularities for s above threshold.

But I can't figure out how to prove it. Can angone help me? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
For the case of equal mass scattering, one may derive in the centre of mass frame the following relations for the Mandelstam invariants ##s,t,u##:
$$s = 4(\mathbf p^2 + m^2) ,\,\,\,\,t=-2\mathbf p^2 (1- \cos \theta), \,\,\,\text{and} \,\,\,\,u = -2\mathbf p^2 (1+\cos \theta) $$ As the physical domain of the variables is such that ##\mathbf p^2 \geq 0## and ## -1 \leq \cos \theta \leq 1##, means that ##s \geq 4m^2, t \leq 0, u \leq 0## with the equalities holding when the relative momentum vector ##\mathbf p = 0##.

In particular, and coming to your question now, if ##s## is above threshold, meaning that ##s## is higher than the ##4m^2##, then ##u## and ##t## are strictly less than zero. This all collectively maintains the constraint ##s+t+u = 4m^2##. So, the ##t## and ##u## channel diagrams proportional to ##1/t## and ##1/u## respectively, at the amplitude level, do not admit singular structures as ##t## and ##u## may not be nullified when ##s## is above ##4m^2.##

CAF123 said:
For the case of equal mass scattering, one may derive in the centre of mass frame the following relations for the Mandelstam invariants ##s,t,u##:
$$s = 4(\mathbf p^2 + m^2) ,\,\,\,\,t=-2\mathbf p^2 (1- \cos \theta), \,\,\,\text{and} \,\,\,\,u = -2\mathbf p^2 (1+\cos \theta) $$ As the physical domain of the variables is such that ##\mathbf p^2 \geq 0## and ## -1 \leq \cos \theta \leq 1##, means that ##s \geq 4m^2, t \leq 0, u \leq 0## with the equalities holding when the relative momentum vector ##\mathbf p = 0##.

In particular, and coming to your question now, if ##s## is above threshold, meaning that ##s## is higher than the ##4m^2##, then ##u## and ##t## are strictly less than zero. This all collectively maintains the constraint ##s+t+u = 4m^2##. So, the ##t## and ##u## channel diagrams proportional to ##1/t## and ##1/u## respectively, at the amplitude level, do not admit singular structures as ##t## and ##u## may not be nullified when ##s## is above ##4m^2.##
Thank you.
##1.## You mean that the Mandelstam variables ##t## and ##u## correspond to the branch cut singularities of ##t##- and ##u##-channel diagrams respectively? Why?
##2.## I can't understand your last sentence.
##3.## ##t=-2\mathbf p^2 (1- \cos \theta)^2, \,\,\,\text{} \,\,\,\,u = -2\mathbf p^2 (1+\cos \theta)^2 ##. You lost ##^2## above the ##(1- \cos \theta)## and ##(1+\cos \theta)##?

phylz said:
Thank you.
##1.## You mean that the Mandelstam variables ##t## and ##u## correspond to the branch cut singularities of ##t##- and ##u##-channel diagrams respectively? Why?
Actually I confess that those statements were made with the tree level diagrams in mind and I implicitly assumed the propagator was massless. But the argument goes through with a massive propagator because then the t and u diagrams are proportional to 1/(t-m2) and 1/(u-m2) respectively and for s>4m2 strictly t,u<0 so one never encounters a pole at tree level. This is a general feature under 'S-matrix analyticity' .

What happens at loop level?

One finds that the t,u diagrams may contribute an imaginary part because of their proportionality to ##\sqrt{1-4m^2/q^2}##, where q2 stands for either t or u. Given that s>4m2 again we must have t,u<0 by the above. So the argument of the square root may never be negative and, as such, we are away from the branch cut and in the domain of parameter space where the diagrams are real.

I think there might be another argument without using the explicit form of the diagrams (indeed P&S make their statement before starting their computation of the s channel diagram) but I don't see it yet.
##2.## I can't understand your last sentence.
Does the above make it better?
##3.## ##t=-2\mathbf p^2 (1- \cos \theta)^2, \,\,\,\text{} \,\,\,\,u = -2\mathbf p^2 (1+\cos \theta)^2 ##. You lost ##^2## above the ##(1- \cos \theta)## and ##(1+\cos \theta)##?
Hmm I don't think so. What makes you think there is a square?

CAF123 said:
Actually I confess that those statements were made with the tree level diagrams in mind and I implicitly assumed the propagator was massless. But the argument goes through with a massive propagator because then the t and u diagrams are proportional to 1/(t-m2) and 1/(u-m2) respectively and for s>4m2 strictly t,u<0 so one never encounters a pole at tree level. This is a general feature under 'S-matrix analyticity' .

What happens at loop level?

One finds that the t,u diagrams may contribute an imaginary part because of their proportionality to ##\sqrt{1-4m^2/q^2}##, where q2 stands for either t or u. Given that s>4m2 again we must have t,u<0 by the above. So the argument of the square root may never be negative and, as such, we are away from the branch cut and in the domain of parameter space where the diagrams are real.

I think there might be another argument without using the explicit form of the diagrams (indeed P&S make their statement before starting their computation of the s channel diagram) but I don't see it yet.

Does the above make it better?

Hmm I don't think so. What makes you think there is a square?

Thank you.

##1.## Now I understand that the ##t-## and ##u-## channel diagrams(tree level diagrams) have no branch cut singularities for ##s>4m^2##. But at the loop level, why are the ##t-## and ##u-## diagrams proportional to ##\sqrt{1-4m^2/q^2}## ?

##2.## Yeah, it is better.

##3.## Yes, you are right, I have made a mistake.

Last edited:
As I mentioned in my last post, I think there should be an argument based on general considerations of analyticity but I don't see it. So, to see the proportionality to the kinematic square root, we can simply compute the diagrams, after all phi^4 theory is not beyond us :P

Edit: See below

Last edited:
Actually, I think I have an argument based on the optical theorem which I guess is fitting given the section in P&S in which the statement is presented. The imaginary part of the two to two scattering event is given by consideration of the sum of all diagrams with kinematically possible intermediate states between the in and out state of your process. This amounts to decorating the amplitude with final state on shell cuts. Now, the physical domain in the t channel and u channel processes for final state production of at least two states, assuming equal mass m, is ##t,u \geq 4m^2## respectively. However, if ##s > 4m^2##, then we must have t,u<0. This is below any particle production threshold for the t and u processes and thus by the optical theorem these two diagrams do not contribute to the imaginary part of the amplitude. That is to say they are purely real and away from branch cut singularities in the t, u planes.

Think it makes sense?

1. What is the Optical Theorem for Feynman Diagrams?

The Optical Theorem for Feynman Diagrams is a mathematical relationship that connects the scattering amplitude of particles in a quantum field theory to the total cross section of their scattering. It is a fundamental tool used in particle physics to calculate the probability of particle interactions.

2. How does the Optical Theorem relate to Feynman Diagrams?

Feynman Diagrams are graphical representations of particle interactions in a quantum field theory. The Optical Theorem provides a way to calculate the total cross section of these interactions using the scattering amplitude calculated from the Feynman Diagrams.

3. Why is the Optical Theorem important in particle physics?

The Optical Theorem is important because it allows scientists to calculate the likelihood of particle interactions, which is essential in understanding the behavior of particles and the fundamental forces that govern them. It also provides a way to test the validity of quantum field theories and make predictions about particle interactions that can be experimentally verified.

4. What is the significance of the name "Optical Theorem"?

The name "Optical Theorem" comes from its origins in classical optics, where a similar theorem relates the total amount of light scattered by an object to its reflection and transmission coefficients. In particle physics, the Optical Theorem serves a similar purpose, connecting the scattering amplitude to the total cross section of particle interactions.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions of the Optical Theorem for Feynman Diagrams?

Yes, the Optical Theorem assumes that the particles involved in the interaction are non-interacting and that the interaction is elastic (no change in particle identity). It also does not account for any higher-order effects, such as higher-order Feynman diagrams. These limitations must be considered when using the Optical Theorem in calculations and interpretations of particle interactions.