Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Purpose

1. Dec 4, 2004 #1
    Peace be with you

I want to know the puepose of scientific studies and stuff,b'coz I don't get it...

Pls reply soon.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, if you prefer to retain the knowledge level of a cave man (that is, the level of most modern human beings), feel free to do so.

4. Dec 4, 2004 #3

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Long term, large scale phenomena do not necessarily have a single constant purpose. Science arose when a handful of individuals derived personal gratification from finding out things that were factual without depending on authority. It has continued for many reasons, but certainly it would cease if it stopped giving gratification to the scientists.

5. Dec 5, 2004 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

(To adopt the Zen approach here) I ask you, young grasshopper, "What is the purpose of any studies, and stuff ?"

6. Dec 5, 2004 #5

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Even if science, in general, doesn't share a single, common purpose, people have established semi-official fields of science with implicit, if not explicit, goals. I think the current, ultimate goal of most sciences is to gain the most reliable knowledge about their subject.
    The reliability of that knowledge will depend upon the methods used to gain it, so the fundamental goal is finding the best methods of gaining the most reliable knowledge about their subject. Achieving this more fundamental goal usually goes by the name "the philosophy of [scientific field]".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?