The Quantum Computer and beamsplitter

In summary, the basic idea behind a quantum computer is to use the Mach-Zehnder interferometer. The task of the black box is to make the inputs on the left to fit to the system, allow the quantum states to process and read out somehow the correct answer and put it on the output line. I think that this task should be easy to implement.
zrek
Dear fellows, please help me to imagine the physical working of a quantum computer (QC).
I have read here ( http://www.cs.rice.edu/~taha/teaching/05F/210/news/2005_09_16.htm ) that the basic idea behind it is the phenomenon that you can find in the Mach–Zehnder interferometer

But how come this two together exactly? A computer have (say) 3 parts: input, a processing apparatus, and output. Consider the following schema of a 1 qbit QC (on the picture: two inputs, one output and a black box in the middle)

I'd like to outline the simplest task possible.
Let's say that the I1 and I2 are 1 bit "numeric" inputs ( 0 or 1 ) and the task of the QC is to tell which number is bigger, and tell "1" as answer on the "A1" if the I1 is the greater.

Since it is a QC, the inner state of the 1 qbit will represent all of the possible answers at once. The task of the black box is to make the inputs on the left to fit to the system, allow the quantum states to process and read out somehow the correct answer and put it on the output line.

I think that this task should be easy to implement. (If I'm wrong, I accept any other tasks as example)

Would someone be so kind and draw a simple schema, with beamsplitters (or any kind of apparatus that is use to be set up in a system like this -- for example bbo-s, mirrors, etc) that implements the task of the black box described above?
It would be very effective and enjoyable to see a complete schema that represents a QC for a specific simple task, from the input to the output. I'd love it.

Thank you very much!

Attachments

• qc1.png
    qc1.png
    620 bytes · Views: 511
Physics news on Phys.org
It is great, I like it, thank you!

Related to The Quantum Computer and beamsplitter

1. What is a quantum computer?

A quantum computer is a type of computer that uses the principles of quantum mechanics to store and process information. Unlike traditional computers that use binary bits (0s and 1s), quantum computers use quantum bits or qubits, which can exist in multiple states at the same time. This allows quantum computers to perform certain calculations and solve certain problems much faster than classical computers.

2. What is a beamsplitter and how does it work?

A beamsplitter is an optical device that splits a beam of light into two or more separate beams. It works by using partially reflective surfaces to divide the incoming light beam into two beams. The amount of light that is reflected and transmitted can be controlled by adjusting the angle and material of the beamsplitter. In the context of quantum computing, beamsplitters are used to manipulate and measure the quantum states of photons.

3. What is the role of beamsplitters in quantum computers?

Beamsplitters play a crucial role in quantum computers as they are used to manipulate and measure the quantum states of photons, which are the building blocks of qubits. Beamsplitters are also used in quantum algorithms, such as the quantum Fourier transform, which is essential for many quantum computing applications.

4. How are beamsplitters different from other optical components?

Beamsplitters are different from other optical components, such as lenses and mirrors, because they are specifically designed to split a beam of light into multiple beams. They are also different from other optical components used in classical computers as they operate on the quantum level, manipulating and measuring the quantum states of photons.

5. What are the potential applications of quantum computers and beamsplitters?

Quantum computers and beamsplitters have the potential to revolutionize various industries, including finance, healthcare, and cybersecurity. They could be used to solve complex problems that are currently intractable for classical computers, such as simulating quantum systems, optimizing logistics and supply chains, and breaking encryption codes. Beamsplitters are also used in other fields, such as microscopy and telecommunications, to manipulate and measure light in precise ways.