The Revival of Newton-Cartan Theory - Comments

In summary, the revival of Newton-Cartan theory is a recent development in the field of theoretical physics that aims to reconcile the concepts of absolute space and time with the principles of general relativity. This theory has been met with both praise and criticism, with some scientists praising its potential to provide a simpler and more intuitive framework for understanding the universe, while others argue that it may not fully account for all observed phenomena. However, ongoing research and advancements in technology are shedding new light on this theory and its potential implications for our understanding of the universe.
haushofer
Science Advisor
Insights Author
haushofer submitted a new PF Insights post

The Revival of Newton-Cartan Theory

Newton-Cartan-Theory.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes atyy, kith, ShayanJ and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
An interesting historical note is that Newtonian gravity still predicts the deflection of light by stars, except there is a factor-of-two discrepancy between Newtonian gravity and GR's prediction. Deriving this in terms of Newton's law of gravity may be problematic; instead it's done by realizing that Newtonian trajectories are conic sections and that the path of light can be described by a very eccentric hyperbola with v=c. A guy I'm not related to wrote about it in 1920: http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1920JRASC..14..285K Do you know if anyone has done this derivation with Newton-Cartan gravity?

Another historical note: as you've touched on, Einstein is often credited with rewriting gravity in terms of spacetime curvature rather than a gravitational force. However, at the same time, Gunnar Nordstrom (who gives us half of the Reissner-Nordstrom metric) also wrote out a new theory of gravity in terms of spacetime curvature (in modern notation, it has R proportional to T). However, his theory was wrong and Einstein's was right.

Yes, there is a lot of history which can be added to the development of GR.

About your question: such a derivation is not needed; Newton-Cartan theory is exactly equivalent to ordinary Newtonian gravity at the level of equations of motion. So it should give the same result as given by the paper you're citing. I've never encountered such a derivation in the NC literature, anyway.

The same goes e.g. for the precession movement of Mercury. That's why the argument sometimes found in the literature, that this precession in GR is due to spacetime curvature, can be a bit misleading. NC describes also gravity as spacetime-curvature, but only in the 'space-time' direction, not on spatial hypersurfaces of constant absolute time (i.e. 'space is flat').

Thank you for that. Reading about Cartan's reformulation of Newtonian gravity has been on my to-do list for a long time and I'm glad to have wet my toes a little.

@haushofer thanks for the article! I, for one, would greatly appreciate if you would include any good online resources you have found on the topic.

Typo: "Newtion". (2nd-last paragraph.)

Likes haushofer
Some resources:

* Misner, Thorne, Wheeler, "Gravitation", chapter 12 (treats NC without a metric formulation, but is a nice first exposure)
* http://arxiv.org/abs/1011.1145, chapter 3 (my own review of the metric formulation of NC)
* http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9610036 (another review on NC and how it is connected to the Newtonian limit of GR)
* http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9604054 (another review with applications to cosmology)
* http://ls.poly.edu/~jbain/papers/NewtCartan.pdf (different versions of NC geometry are compared)
* http://journals.aps.org/rmp/abstract/10.1103/RevModPhys.36.938 (an early review)

Hope this gives some nice introductories :)

edit Added to text

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Ibix
interesting article!

This Youtube playlist contains videos of lectures I gave in various universities to student members of the SPS, and to researchers who haven't taken General Relativity; it's a mostly-heuristic introduction to the subject which relied to some extent on Newton-Cartan theory and related material in MTW, Synge and others. The lectures are briefly reviewed here (see #10). Here's a guide to the lectures.
Also, I wrote up a brief heuristic introduction to Newton-Cartan theory based on my approach, meant to be suitable even for high-school student who took physics, and certainly for undergraduates.
All of this was my way of making general relativity accessible to those students who studied calculus-based physics, will probably never take GR, want more than is offered in all the purely-qualitative presentations in the many wonderful popular books on the subject, and would love a presentation which leverages what they learned in that calculus-based physics course without requiring them to learn additional difficult math.
The utility of Newton-Cartan theory as an introductory path to GR is discussed in this lengthy preface to my textbook (not yet published) which is available as a pdf file. The textbook and lectures are inter-related.
Note: The playlist above is followed by this one, with some cosmology here. There are more videos which will eventually be added to these playlists
Any comments on this material will be much appreciated, particularly from students who never took GR (or from those few professionals who are savvy in GR but nevertheless both value pedagogy and appreciate heuristic treatments avoiding complicated mathematics) : air1@nyu.edu (Currently associated with BGU rather than NYU.)

Likes dextercioby

What is Newton-Cartan theory?

Newton-Cartan theory is a classical theory of gravity that was developed in the 1920s by Isaac Newton and Élie Cartan. It is a non-relativistic theory that describes the motion of bodies under the influence of gravitational forces.

Why is there a revival of interest in Newton-Cartan theory?

In recent years, there has been a renewed interest in Newton-Cartan theory due to its potential applications in areas such as cosmology, dark matter, and quantum gravity. It also provides a simpler and more intuitive framework for understanding gravitational interactions compared to general relativity.

What are the main differences between Newton-Cartan theory and general relativity?

The main difference between Newton-Cartan theory and general relativity is that the former is non-relativistic, while the latter is a theory of gravity that incorporates the principles of special relativity. In Newton-Cartan theory, time is absolute and there is no concept of spacetime curvature.

What are some criticisms of Newton-Cartan theory?

One of the main criticisms of Newton-Cartan theory is that it is not a fully consistent theory on its own, as it requires additional assumptions and modifications to be compatible with experimental observations. It also cannot fully explain certain phenomena, such as gravitational waves.

What are the potential applications of Newton-Cartan theory?

Newton-Cartan theory has potential applications in various fields, such as cosmology, astrophysics, and quantum gravity. It has also been used to study the behavior of dark matter and the large-scale structure of the universe. Additionally, it can provide a useful framework for understanding the behavior of systems in extreme gravitational environments, such as black holes.