The Schwarzschild Geometry: Part 3 - Comments

In summary, Lines of constant X provide a smooth connected picture of the S2xR2 manifold. Each line has a nice interpretation: the evolution of a 2-sphere from r > 0, to some maximum r, then down toward 0 again. The smallest maximum r is the horizon radius; for larger X, the maximum radius grows without bound.
cianfa72 said:
so why is Kruskal ##X## coordinate called 'a radial coordinate?
Because, as noted, the points in the Kruskal diagram label 2-spheres, not 2-planes. Since ##X## is spacelike everywhere, and does not point along any of the 2-spheres, it must point in a radial direction.

Likes cianfa72
Physics news on Phys.org
PeterDonis said:
Since ##X## is spacelike everywhere, and does not point along any of the 2-spheres, it must point in a radial direction.
In other words since the metric in Kruskal coordinates ##(T,X,\theta,\phi)## is diagonal then ##\partial_X## is orthogonal both to ##\partial_{\theta}## and ##\partial_{\phi}## hence it does not point along any of the 2-spheres.

cianfa72 said:
since the metric in Kruskal coordinates ##(T,X,\theta,\phi)## is diagonal then ##\partial_X## is orthogonal both to ##\partial_{\theta}## and ##\partial_{\phi}## hence it does not point along any of the 2-spheres.
Yes. Although you can see that the 2-spheres in any spherically symmetric spacetime are orthogonal to the other two spacetime dimensions by purely invariant reasoning. The argument is simple: suppose that there were some vector field in the spacetime not lying within the 2-spheres (i.e., not expressible as a linear combination of the 2-sphere basis vectors) but also not orthogonal to the 2-spheres (i.e., nonzero inner product with some vector on each of the 2-spheres). This would be mathematically equivalent to having a vector field on a 2-sphere that is nonzero everywhere, which is impossible by the "hairy ball" theorem. So the remaining 2 dimensions of the spacetime must be everywhere orthogonal to the 2-spheres. (I first encountered this argument in MTW; I don't know what other GR textbooks describe it.)

PeterDonis said:
suppose that there were some vector field in the spacetime not lying within the 2-spheres (i.e., not expressible as a linear combination of the 2-sphere basis vectors) but also not orthogonal to the 2-spheres (i.e., nonzero inner product with some vector on each of the 2-spheres).
ok, that would mean that such a vector field would always have a nonzero component lying within the 2-spheres.

PeterDonis said:
This would be mathematically equivalent to having a vector field on a 2-sphere that is nonzero everywhere, which is impossible by the "hairy ball" theorem.
By the same argument at some point on each 2-sphere the basis vector fields (coordinate basis) ##\partial_{\theta}## and ##\partial_{\phi}## must vanish (not at the same point). Is it related to the reason why it is impossible to map a complete 2-sphere with only one chart ?

Last edited:
cianfa72 said:
that would mean that such a vector field would always have a nonzero component lying within the 2-spheres.
Yes, exactly. And that is impossible by the hairy ball theorem: it is impossible to have a vector field on a 2-sphere that is everywhere nonzero.

cianfa72 said:
By the same argument at some point on each 2-sphere the basis vector fields (coordinate basis) ##\partial_{\theta}## and ##\partial_{\phi}## must vanish (not at the same point). Is it related to the reason why it is impossible to map a complete 2-sphere with only one chart ?
Yes, it is the reason why it is impossible to map a complete 2-sphere with only one chart.

Likes cianfa72