The set of squares of rational numbers is inductive

In summary, the set of squares of rational numbers is inductive based on the definition of an inductive set. This can be shown by first proving that 0 is in the set, as 0 is 0^2 and is rational. Then, it must be shown that if x is in the set, then x+1 is also in the set. This can be demonstrated by taking x to be m/n, where m and n are integers and either m or n is odd, and showing that x+1 can be written in the form of p^2/q^2, satisfying the definition of a rational squared. However, upon further inspection, it is noted that the set is not fully inductive, as there are
mrchris

Homework Statement

The set of squares of rational numbers is inductive

Homework Equations

definition of an inductive set

The Attempt at a Solution

sorry i know this is probably very easy to most but I am just learning analysis. Okay, so we can see that 1 is in the set because it is rational and 12 exists. Am I correct in thinking that it doesn't matter whether or not 12 is rational? I mean obviously it is, but aren't we really just checking to make sure that S(1) is defined? Then for the second part, we can take S(x) to be x2 whenever x=m/n, where m,n are integers and either m or n is odd. Again, aren't we basically proving that if S(x) exists, or (m2/n2) exists, then S(x+1), or [(m+n)2/n2] also exists. But then don't I also need to show that if x is rational, then so is x+1? Maybe i am reading way too much into this, but again I am new to these and I'm trying to understand exactly what I need to show.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you're pretty much correct. Let S be the set of the squares of rationals. To show it's inductive you need to show that 0 is in S (it is because 0 is [itex]0^{2}[/itex] and 0 is rational). Then you need to show that if x is in S, then x+1 is in S.

Then for two integers m,n [itex]x=\frac{m^{2}}{n^{2}}[/itex] so [itex]x+1=\frac{m^{2} + n^{2}}{n^{2}}[/itex]. The question then boils down to showing that this can be written in the form [itex]\frac{p^{2}}{q^{2}}[/itex], which isn't the same as [itex]\frac{(m+n)^{2}}{n^2}[/itex]. They're rational by your definition of x, but the latter can't be assumed to be rational squared, unless you show it.

I'm fairly sure it's not inductive by the way.

Take [itex]x=\frac{1}{4}[/itex]. Then [itex]x+1=\frac{5}{2^{2}}[/itex]. This cannot be written in the form [itex]\frac{p^2}{q^2}[/itex].

Every time you multiply the fraction by some multiple [itex]\frac{5}{5}[/itex] you get that the index of 5 increases to an even number on the top but then an odd number on the bottom. So you can never have an even index of 5 on the top and bottom. So the fraction is not part of the rationals squared.

1. What does it mean for a set to be inductive?

For a set to be inductive, it means that it follows a specific pattern or rule where each element in the set is related to the previous element in a specific way. In other words, each element in the set can be obtained by applying a specific operation or function to the previous element.

2. How is the set of squares of rational numbers inductive?

The set of squares of rational numbers is inductive because each element in the set is the square of a rational number. For example, the first element in the set is 1, which is the square of the rational number 1. The second element is 4, which is the square of the rational number 2. This pattern continues, with each element being the square of a rational number.

3. Can you provide an example of an element in the set of squares of rational numbers?

Yes, an example of an element in the set of squares of rational numbers is 9. This element is the square of the rational number 3, which can be written as 3/1 in its simplest form.

4. Is the set of squares of rational numbers an infinite set?

Yes, the set of squares of rational numbers is an infinite set. This is because there is no limit to the number of rational numbers that can be squared, and thus there is no limit to the number of elements in the set.

5. How is the set of squares of rational numbers different from the set of squares of integers?

The set of squares of rational numbers includes all numbers that can be expressed as the ratio of two integers, while the set of squares of integers only includes whole number squares. This means that the set of squares of rational numbers is a larger set than the set of squares of integers.