1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The set of squares of rational numbers is inductive

1. Apr 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The set of squares of rational numbers is inductive

2. Relevant equations
    definition of an inductive set

3. The attempt at a solution
    sorry i know this is probably very easy to most but I am just learning analysis. Okay, so we can see that 1 is in the set because it is rational and 12 exists. Am I correct in thinking that it doesn't matter whether or not 12 is rational? I mean obviously it is, but aren't we really just checking to make sure that S(1) is defined? Then for the second part, we can take S(x) to be x2 whenever x=m/n, where m,n are integers and either m or n is odd. Again, aren't we basically proving that if S(x) exists, or (m2/n2) exists, then S(x+1), or [(m+n)2/n2] also exists. But then don't I also need to show that if x is rational, then so is x+1? Maybe i am reading way too much into this, but again I am new to these and I'm trying to understand exactly what I need to show.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2012 #2
    No, you're pretty much correct. Let S be the set of the squares of rationals. To show it's inductive you need to show that 0 is in S (it is because 0 is [itex]0^{2}[/itex] and 0 is rational). Then you need to show that if x is in S, then x+1 is in S.

Then for two integers m,n [itex]x=\frac{m^{2}}{n^{2}}[/itex] so [itex]x+1=\frac{m^{2} + n^{2}}{n^{2}}[/itex]. The question then boils down to showing that this can be written in the form [itex]\frac{p^{2}}{q^{2}}[/itex], which isn't the same as [itex]\frac{(m+n)^{2}}{n^2}[/itex]. They're rational by your definition of x, but the latter can't be assumed to be rational squared, unless you show it.

4. Apr 13, 2012 #3
    I'm fairly sure it's not inductive by the way.

Take [itex]x=\frac{1}{4}[/itex]. Then [itex]x+1=\frac{5}{2^{2}}[/itex]. This cannot be written in the form [itex]\frac{p^2}{q^2}[/itex].

Every time you multiply the fraction by some multiple [itex]\frac{5}{5}[/itex] you get that the index of 5 increases to an even number on the top but then an odd number on the bottom. So you can never have an even index of 5 on the top and bottom. So the fraction is not part of the rationals squared.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook