1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The shell method

1. Jan 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the volume of the function rotated about the x-axis over the given interval:

on interval [1,4]

for this specific problem it says to sketch the region and express as a sum of two integrals.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure why you need to express it as a sum of two integrals. Since its about the x-axis I solved so that it was x=1/y for the radius and the height would then be y therefore with the shell method it would be 2*pi* [tex]\int[/tex] (1/y)y(dy) the limits of integration being 1 to 4
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Shells means integrating 2*pi*r*l where r is the radius of the shell and l is the length of the shell. There are two regions of integration because between y=1/4 and y=1 the radius is y and the length depends on y (but it's not what you wrote). Between y=0 and y=1/4 the length of the shell is constant and equal to 3. If you sketched the region (and you should) I would suggest using that sketch.
  4. Jan 30, 2008 #3
    Ohhhh, okay I get what your saying about the the 2 shells I see on the graph now as well, however I am confused about how to find what the radius is in terms of y I thought you just solved the original equation so that it was x= ??
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?