1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Stone-Weierstrass Theorem

1. Nov 12, 2005 #1
    My version of the Stone-Weierstrass theorem is:

Let [itex]X[/itex] be a compact space, and suppose [itex]A[/itex] is a subalgebra of [itex]C(X,\mathbb{R})[/itex] which separates points of [itex]X[/itex] and contains the constant functions. Then [itex]A[/itex] is dense in [itex]C(X,\mathbb{R})[/itex].

I can see why the subalgebra would have to separate points (this is how A is dense, no?) but I don't understand HOW it separates points. I mean, isn't [itex]A[/itex] a subalgebra? Which means it is a subset of [itex]X[/itex] and has the same algebraic structure as [itex]X[/itex].

If this subset, [itex]A[/itex] were to separate points of [itex]X[/itex], then if I take any pair of distinct points [itex]x,y \in X[/itex] then there must exist a function [itex]f \in A[/itex] such that [itex]f(x) \neq f(y)[/itex].

Oh, I think I just answered this myself! So if the subalgebra did not separate points, then [itex]A[/itex] is never dense in [itex]X[/itex].

My gripe is, [itex]A[/itex] is a subalgebra of [itex]C(X,\mathbb{R})[/itex], what is [itex]C(X,\mathbb{R})[/itex]? And why must the subalgebra contain the constant function? What if it didn't contain the constant function?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Looks to me like you need to review some basic definitions! [itex]C(X,\mathbb{R})[/itex] is the set of all continuous functions from [itex]X[/itex] to [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]. As for " has the same algebraic structure as [itex]X[/itex]", X doesn't have any algebraic structure- it's just a compact topological space.

4. Nov 12, 2005 #3
    It's always the definitions isn't it Halls? ;)
    That's what I thought!

Definition of a subalgebra:

A subalgebra of the set of all continuous functions from [itex]X[/itex] to it's underlying field [itex]\mathbb{F}[/itex] is a subspace [itex]A[/itex] such that for [itex]f,g \in A[/itex], [itex]fg \in A[/itex], that is, multiplication of elements of a subalgebra is closed.

Now if you have a compact space [itex]X[/itex], and suppose [itex]A[/itex] is a subalgebra (which means that multiplication defined
    above is closed in [itex]A[/itex]) which separates points of [itex]X[/itex] and contains the constant functions. Then the subalgebra [itex]A[/itex] is dense in [itex]C(X,\mathbb{R})[/itex].
    Im trying to understand why the part in red needs to be included in this theorem. Why does the subalgebra have to contain the constant functions?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2005
  5. Nov 12, 2005 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try considering special cases! What if X is a one-point set? A two-point set?

6. Nov 12, 2005 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

why don't you try proving the polynomials are dense in the space of all continuous functions on an interval? maybe you will see what is needed for the proof.

[and what if you consider the set of all those continuous functions vanishing at a given point?]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?