The sum and multiplication of periodic functions

In summary: Basically, an almost periodic function is a function that is close to being periodic but isn't. Thanks for your question!
life is maths

Homework Statement

Hi, my question is whether the sum and multiplication of two periodic functions (with a common period) are periodic.
Our functions are R[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]R.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f(x)=f(x+T) g(x)=g(x+T) T is the period.
h(x)=f(x)+g(x)
h(x+T)=f(x+T)+g(x+T)=f(x)+g(x)=h(x)

Hence, h(x) is also periodic.
What I did is similar for multiplication. Is there any flaw in this? I searched a bit and found out this may not hold every time, but I guess that was about Fourier series, which I have no idea about.
Thanks for any hint :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your argument is fine. You only potentially run into difficulties when the periods aren't the same.

Thanks, LCKurtz. Could you please explain what happens if the periods are not the same? Is it too complicated for a freshman in maths? :)

life is maths said:
Thanks, LCKurtz. Could you please explain what happens if the periods are not the same? Is it too complicated for a freshman in maths? :)

If you have periods like 2 and 3, then you need to use the least common multiple for the period of the sum. But if your two periods are 2 and [itex]\pi[/itex], there is no lcm and the sum isn't periodic at all. That happens when the ratio of the periods isn't a rational number.

Thanks again :) Wow, I haven't thought of it before...
One last question, if you don't mind me :) What is an almost periodic function? It is a term I came across today, and would be grateful if you could explain this, too.

life is maths said:
Thanks again :) Wow, I haven't thought of it before...
One last question, if you don't mind me :) What is an almost periodic function? It is a term I came across today, and would be grateful if you could explain this, too.

You can read about that here:
http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/AlmostPeriodicFunction.html

and other links you can find with Google.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between the sum and multiplication of periodic functions?

The sum of two periodic functions is calculated by adding the values of the two functions at each point, while the multiplication of two periodic functions is calculated by multiplying the values of the two functions at each point. This means that the sum of two periodic functions is another periodic function, while the multiplication of two periodic functions may not be periodic.

2. Can the sum of two non-periodic functions be periodic?

No, the sum of two non-periodic functions cannot be periodic. This is because the sum of two periodic functions has the same period as the individual functions, and if one or both of the functions is non-periodic, the sum will also be non-periodic.

3. How do you determine the period of a sum of periodic functions?

The period of a sum of periodic functions is the lowest common multiple of the periods of the individual functions. This means that the sum will repeat itself after this period.

4. Can the multiplication of two periodic functions have a period?

Yes, the multiplication of two periodic functions can have a period. This will occur when the two functions have a common period, or when one function is a multiple of the period of the other function.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the sum and multiplication of periodic functions?

Yes, the sum and multiplication of periodic functions have various real-life applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and signal processing. For example, the addition of two sound waves with different frequencies results in a new periodic wave, while the multiplication of two waves can be used in signal processing to filter out unwanted frequencies.