The theory of relativity by Christian Møller

In summary, this text is old, and doesn't emphasize geometry in terms of spacetime and spacetime diagrams. It is more of a compilation of various topics rather than a focused and comprehensive treatment of relativity.
nearlynothing
I stumbled upon this text recently and I was just interested in how you'd rate it, in case you're familiar with it.
To me the exposition seems alright, but the text is old and sometimes it shows.
Would you consider learning relativity from this book as a main source or would you go for a more modern exposition? and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
While there are some topics of interest not covered or emphasized in more modern texts,
I would not recommend it as a main source (with the selection available today) because it doesn't emphasize geometrical thinking in terms of spacetime and spacetime diagrams. In the preface, Moller declares his preference for 3-d vector calculus in the beginning, followed later by 4-d tensor calculus [with ict] --with emphasis on algebra and calculus, which is good for doing some types of calculations.

My $0.03.

Moller is very well-written and very well-organized. As Robphy says, he covers several topics more thoroughly than most modern texts, and often devotes more attention to a 3+1 split.

What he does not cover at all is black holes, so for this reason alone you'll need another book to consult.

ict convention is a no-go nowadays, while I don't know, why one should empasize Minkowski diagrams. Usually I find them more confusing than the algebra/calcculus in covariant form.

vanhees71 said:
ict convention is a no-go nowadays
Except when doing a Wick rotation, then it's acceptable. :wink:

vanhees71 said:
...why one should empasize Minkowski diagrams. Usually I find them more confusing than the algebra/calcculus in covariant form.

It was Minkowski's reformulation of Einstein's papers that led to the "covariant" way of thinking.
Minkowski formulated "space-time" geometry, "proper-time", "light-cone", "world-line", and 4-vectors [developed further by Sommerfeld].
(Einstein didn't appreciate all of this at the time. Sommerfeld quotes Einstein "Since the mathematicians have invaded the theory of relativity, I do not understand it myself any more".)

Did you learn [or would you teach] introductory Euclidean geometry with algebra and calculus, but no diagrams?
Are diagrams of Euclidean geometry confusing?
(Is it helpful to draw the intersection of two figures? Or just write a system of equations?)

In PHY 101, we often draw "position vs time" diagrams (a.k.a. space-time diagrams... although one often does not recognize or explicitly use its underlying non-euclidean metric) to supplement the typical algebraic and calculus-based kinematic equations. This is especially helpful for piecewise motions that are not easy to write down algebraically.
(Later, we also draw Free-Body diagrams and do vector-addition graphically.. to support an algebraic computation.)

Finally, I like this quote from
J.L. Synge in Relativity: The Special Theory (1956), p. 63 ,
"Anyone who studies relativity without understanding
how to use simple space-time diagrams
is as much inhibited as a student of
functions of a complex variable who
does not understand the Argand diagram."

Thanks for all the answers, as i kept reading the book and i saw the way it deals with the structure of spacetime i realized i truly don't like it.
I'll stick to Visser's lecture notes and to Wald's text for now.

robphy said:
(Einstein didn't appreciate all of this at the time. Sommerfeld quotes Einstein "Since the mathematicians have invaded the theory of relativity, I do not understand it myself any more".)

I find this very interesting, given that the geometric interpretation of the properties of spacetime are at the very core of GR's foundations. I didnt know this was Einstein's opinion at first.
Do you know how he came to appreciate this later on?

Last edited:
The book proves that the Einstein synchronization convention is actually a synchronization convention. This immediately makes it better than most SR books out there :)

But apart from that, I wouldn't use it as a main resource for learning relativity. It is far too outdated. There are more comprehensive and more modern texts out there you can use to greater fruition.

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, developed by Christian Møller, is a fundamental concept in physics that explains the relationships between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and that the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

2. What are the two types of relativity?

There are two types of relativity in Møller's theory: special relativity and general relativity. Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in inertial (non-accelerating) frames of reference, while general relativity extends these laws to include accelerated frames of reference and the effects of gravity.

3. How did Christian Møller contribute to the theory of relativity?

Møller made significant contributions to the theory of relativity, including developing the first complete mathematical formalism for general relativity and proposing the concept of energy-momentum complexes, which allows for the calculation of energy and momentum in curved spacetime.

4. What are some practical applications of the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity has many practical applications, including GPS technology, which relies on precise time measurements based on the theory of special relativity. It also helps us understand the behavior of objects at extremely high speeds and near massive objects, such as black holes.

5. Is the theory of relativity proven?

The theory of relativity has been extensively tested and verified through experiments and observations, making it one of the most well-supported theories in physics. However, like all scientific theories, it is subject to future refinement and potential revisions as our understanding of the universe deepens.