Funny Stories of Our Pets - The Things They Do!

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: I have a dog that likes to smile, looks a bit like he is snarling but he's really just smiling, very cute. He is a bit of a sucker for attention, whenever he thinks you aren't paying enough attention to him he will poke you in the butt with his nose...or he will go and get a big stick...or he will just sit right next to you and start licking your face.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
We are constantly entertained by the antics of our animals - both the wild ones and the tame ones.

Stories?

We have a two year old cat named Bun who is my office buddy. During the dry summer months she is constantly loading her coat with stickers - a constant job of de-burring for us. She really cracks me up when I'm brushing her out. The brushing can get a little aggressive when working for the deeply buried stickers, and she tolerates it pretty well, but she definitely has her limit. When she has had enough, that is to say, when I am getting too aggressive, she reaches out and grabs my arm or leg with her claws. From there she regulates my brushing intensity by digging in her claws. There is no mistaking it when I am brushing too hard! She is so deliberate and she watches me so intently... it just kills me. I've never had a cat do this before. Normally they just object by trying to get away if they don't like what is being done, but Bun fully intends to maintain control.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My best friend has a french bulldog named Sophie.

Her mission in life is to sneak up on you and very tenderly untie your shoes without you noticing.

Ember, my kitten, is going to be a doctor when she grows up. She's practicing the "An apple a day keeps the doctor away," routine. Every other thing I eat, she is in my lap or my face or climbing somewhere nearby to check it out, sniff, taste, and generally being a pest. But, apples are different. Whenever I eat an apple, she's sitting WAY over on the other side of the couch from me. I offered her the core to sniff, figuring she'd sniff it and decide she wan't really interested in eating apple and would go on her merry way. Quite the opposite! She is terrified of apple cores (and I guess the whole apple...I haven't tried offering an uneaten one, but the way she sits so far away while I'm eating it makes me think she's afraid of apples too). She hisses and backs away, and makes a hasty retreat if I get within a foot of her with an apple core!

Other than that, we're dealing with a bit of terrible twos here (she's two months old now, and I've had her two weeks...nearly 3), and she's decided that I'm her favorite chew toy in the whole world! I don't know how to discourage her from biting my toes when she simultaneously hurts and tickles, which means I jump, and that just eggs her on more!

Both of my parents dogs love socks. Both the poodle and the golden. They will steal every sock they can find and hide them whever they can, mostly under beds and couches. Every few weeks no one in the house has socks any more.

My new cat likes to, err, [MEDIA=youtube[/URL]...You'll see what i mean.

regards

marlon

Last edited by a moderator:
marlon said:
My new cat likes to, err, [MEDIA=youtube[/URL]...You'll see what i mean.

regards

marlon[/QUOTE]Awwww, that's cute! Cat people are good people. :approve:

Moonbear, you need to get Ember one of those toys, Spawn had one for her cat, he loved it.

Last edited by a moderator:
*envy* I wish I could get a cute little kitty :frown:
(family allergies :frown: )

I had a cat that had a very hefty appetite. Everytime she was hungry she would walk over the the fridge, and meow until we opened it and gave her some milk. She was an outside cat that wanted to live in the house. Whenever she was in she would eat the indoor cat's food which made him so mad, he would sit right behind her and give her a death glare whenever she was near his food dish. The inside guy was quite a character to, he was a bit of a grump and liked to nip you. Once day I felt like provoking him a bit and managed to make him so mad that he actually slapped me...so hard that my mom heard it across the room, he was good though and never used his claws.

My cat now loves to help with laundry. I fold my clothes, set them in a pile on the floor and while I fold the rest he carts of the ones in the folded pile to some other room in the apartment.

I have a dog that likes to smile, looks a bit like he is snarling but he's really just smiling, very cute. He is a bit of a sucker for attention, whenever he thinks you aren't paying enough attention to him he will poke you in the butt with his nose...or he will go and get a big stick and poke you with that.

Some animals have such funny personalities lol.

Evo said:
Awwww, that's cute! Cat people are good people. :approve:

Moonbear, you need to get Ember one of those toys, Spawn had one for her cat, he loved it.
Ember has nearly every toy on the planet (everyone says she's spoiled), but where Marlon's cat is sweetly licking his hands, that's when Ember chomps down! She does the stealth attacks from under the couch too! The vet says it's because she's a calico...she says they have a "redhead" hot-tempered personality. :rofl: There's only one kitten left at the farm, one of the all black ones, and he's so mellow and sweet now, but no, I had to go for the bold, outgoing one who now thinks she owns the place and wants to bite ankles! :grumpy: :rofl: But, she is adorable when she snuggles up with me at night and lays on my arm and has her chin on my shoulder...at least until my arm goes to sleep. :biggrin:

Oh, and she's a remote hog! She grabs the remote and then sits on it! Geez, if I wanted that, I could have gotten a husband...they're much easier to take care of than kittens! :tongue2:

Moonbear said:
Ember has nearly every toy on the planet (everyone says she's spoiled), but where Marlon's cat is sweetly licking his hands, that's when Ember chomps down! She does the stealth attacks from under the couch too! The vet says it's because she's a calico...she says they have a "redhead" hot-tempered personality. :rofl: There's only one kitten left at the farm, one of the all black ones, and he's so mellow and sweet now, but no, I had to go for the bold, outgoing one who now thinks she owns the place and wants to bite ankles! :grumpy: :rofl: But, she is adorable when she snuggles up with me at night and lays on my arm and has her chin on my shoulder...at least until my arm goes to sleep. :biggrin:

Oh, and she's a remote hog! She grabs the remote and then sits on it! Geez, if I wanted that, I could have gotten a husband...they're much easier to take care of than kittens! :tongue2:
We used to have a calico cat that I liked. In fact, it's the only cat we had that liked me - every other cat we've had only likes the kids and might barely tolerate the adults if we're lucky. It could hear the alarm go off and was always waiting by the door when I came out of the bedroom. She had about a three to four foot vertical leap. If you tossed a pillow on the floor, she'd hide behind it and wait for you to flick a paper wad, then leap up and try to catch it in the air. She was just an awesome goalkeeper.

Moonbear said:
I could have gotten a husband...they're much easier to take care of than kittens! :tongue2:

But there so much harder to litter train:rofl:

Hey! :grumpy: One more comment like that and I'm going to cough up a hairball.

For years we had pigmy goats which are famous for their big pot bellies. It always bothered me that they were as fat as they were, but we constantly monitored their eating and they were getting the right amounts, so we figured that this was normal. Only after getting rid of the goats did we realize that we had been outsmarted: Our dog food bill suddenly dropped by about 50%.

i had a dog once which was so stupid that he was aways chasing after his own tail. he would just run in circles, groaning in irritation. and then one day he bite his own tail, then he cried, then angered, then ran after his tail again for revenge. how stupid is that?

oh, and once my cat (i had, and have lots of cats, but they just live in my garden, so they don't ussuly have a long life time) one month after birth of 4 kitties, ate them. they were very sick, but still its shocking. ever since i call here hanibal.

another dog of mine was a father to a kitty. he was really sad when she was ran over by a car.

one last thing, there is a phenomenon in my garden that i find bird scales(once i found a beak). those cats of mine are bird hunters... i remember saving a bird from my cat's claws, she had some kind of trauma, was parelised for 15 minutes or so, though she wasnt hurt.
also i found a headless rat, it was nasty, my cat just played with its headless body, he didnt even mean to eat it...

Last edited:
We once had a ferret named Lefty, who was a tough guy. When he was a kit, he learned that if he nipped me, he was going to get a snap on the nose from my finger. If he was mad at me for something (like if I took back a sock or an innersole he had stolen), instead of nipping me, he would find my wife and nip her! I encouraged her to scruff him and snap him on the nose to discourage the nipping, and she did so, but soon felt guilty for punishing him and would give him a raisin or some other tasty treat. The unfortunate timing of such apologies did nothing to stop the nipping, since scruffing and a nose-snap was more humiliation than anything. He would gladly put up with that for a tasty raisin. If you had ever seen Spike and Lefty chomping onto one another, one hauling the other down the hallway by an ear clamped between sharp canines, you know that pain is a relative thing for them. That was how they played - the trick is to teach them that people don't like play-biting because it hurts.

We got Taz a few years later as a kit (after swearing no more ferrets, because its so sad to see them grow old and die) because a lady bought him and her other two ferrets were beating him up constantly. I made a cozy little camp for him in the living room out of a cardboard box with a cut-out for a door and a baby blanket to sleep on. When the lady gave him to us, she gave us a toy that she had bought for him. It was a stuffed terrycloth doll with an elephant's head - quite bizzare. Taz kept it in his camp all the time. He was a sweet ferret, and we trained him not to nip or make messes simply by scolding him. Since he had no other ferrets to bond to, he bonded to us, and he wanted to please us. The funny thing was that if he did something that we wanted to discourage and we scolded him, he would run to his "camp" grab the elephant doll by the crotch and thrash it around, slamming it into the "walls". After a bit of this, he would put the doll back in the corner and come out to hang out with us. When he was frustrated, he just had to take it out on someone.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
...I could have gotten a husband...they're much easier to take care of than kittens! :tongue2:

Where the hell did you ever get a goofy idea like THAT?!? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Our black kitty Momar 'Sheep Dip' Kahdafi - known as 'Dip' - used to like to play frisbie with us with our little crocheted table coasters. They were perfect little kitty frisbies, and he would do flips in the air as he jumped up to catch them. He was an AWESOME frisbie player. :biggrin:

Tsu said:
Where the hell did you ever get a goofy idea like THAT?!? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I think I just heard Ivan coughing up that hairball! :rofl:

I have a cat that meows and comes running to me when I sneeze. I used to think it was something she just did for me until she started running to my boyfriend when he sneezes...:smile:

larkspur said:
I have a cat that meows and comes running to me when I sneeze. I used to think it was something she just did for me until she started running to my boyfriend when he sneezes...:smile:
Mine just meows for food, and to be put down when she's tired of sitting still.

Actually, it's a meow for food treats. She always has her dry food, but gets about a teaspoon of wet food as a treat when I have my dinner. Since it would go bad keeping a can in the fridge for as long as it takes to use it up a teaspoon at a time, I freeze small portions and quickly thaw in the microwave when it's dinner time. She already knows that when that particular dish goes into the microwave, she's getting her treat, and has started meowing and putting her paws on my legs. And, now she begs for milk too! I only gave her that once, maybe a teaspoon that I poured out of my own glass (it just coated the bottom of a custard dish), and that's all it took to get her to beg for more of that every time I have a glass of milk for myself. She's definitely becoming food-oriented. She wiggles all over the place if I try to brush her, but tolerates it much better if I have the bag of treats sitting next to me when I bring out the brush.

At one point we had two aggresive ~one year old, black male cats, and a very delicate [by nature] female persian named Yiddo who was about ten years old. Poor Yiddo. :frown: The two males would be running around at full speed, and eventually, sooner or later, Yiddo would get in their way. [going Batman here] BOOF! BAM! THUD! ...and a seriously ticked off Yiddo would come rolling out of a black pile of fur.

1. What inspired you to write a book about funny pet stories?

I have always been an animal lover and have had many pets throughout my life. As I observed their silly antics and unique personalities, I realized that there were countless humorous stories to be told. I wanted to share these stories with others and bring a smile to their faces.

2. Are these stories based on real experiences with your own pets?

Yes, all of the stories in this book are based on real experiences with my own pets. I have had a variety of pets, including cats, dogs, and even a parrot, and each one has provided me with endless entertainment and inspiration for these stories.

3. Can you give us a sneak peek into one of the funny stories?

One of my favorite stories is about my cat, who was always trying to sneak into the refrigerator whenever we opened it. One day, she managed to sneak in unnoticed and we didn't realize until we heard her meowing from inside. We opened the door to find her sitting on the top shelf, looking very pleased with herself.

4. Do these stories have a deeper meaning or message?

While these stories are meant to be lighthearted and entertaining, they also showcase the special bond that we share with our pets. They remind us to appreciate the little moments and quirks that make our pets unique and bring joy to our lives.

5. Will you be writing more books about funny pet stories?

I am always on the lookout for new funny stories to share, so it is definitely a possibility. I also love hearing about other people's funny pet experiences, so who knows, maybe the next book will feature stories from other pet owners as well!