Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The title? (one of Dirac's books)

1. Jun 10, 2008 #1
    the title?? (one of Dirac's books)

Two months ago, I talked with an old foreign professor about the non-local hidden variable. He was very interested in it. He said he had read one of Dirac’s books years ago. It says if the non-local hidden variable exists, then the quantum theory is nonlinear.
    Unfortunately I didn’t note the title of the book and now I forget it.
    Does someone know it?
    Looking for your help.
    Best wishes.
    Thank you.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2008 #2
    Probably "lectures on quantum mechanics", but I haven't read it myself. He didn't write that many books, so it should be easy to find. He did write a good many papers, of course.
  4. Jun 10, 2008 #3
    "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" was the textbook that he wrote. I don't know if this is what you're looking for though. Interestingly, I heard that this was the standard text in the universities for many years.
  5. Jun 10, 2008 #4
    There is a way of decoupling the complex Schroedinger equation into an equivalent set of two real equations, and this allows for the possibility of non-local hidden variables, but this theory is nonlinear. Search for "Bohmian Mechanics" or "De Broglie Pilot Wave."
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?