The title? (one of Dirac's books)

• Thread starter xylai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, during a conversation about non-local hidden variables, an old foreign professor mentioned reading one of Dirac's books which states that the existence of such variables would make quantum theory nonlinear. The title of the book was not noted, but it is believed to be either "Lectures on Quantum Mechanics" or "Principles of Quantum Mechanics." These books were widely used in universities for many years. The theory of Bohmian Mechanics or De Broglie Pilot Wave also explores the possibility of non-local hidden variables.
xylai
the title?? (one of Dirac's books)

Two months ago, I talked with an old foreign professor about the non-local hidden variable. He was very interested in it. He said he had read one of Dirac’s books years ago. It says if the non-local hidden variable exists, then the quantum theory is nonlinear.
Unfortunately I didn’t note the title of the book and now I forget it.
Does someone know it?
Looking for your help.
Best wishes.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Probably "lectures on quantum mechanics", but I haven't read it myself. He didn't write that many books, so it should be easy to find. He did write a good many papers, of course.

"Principles of Quantum Mechanics" was the textbook that he wrote. I don't know if this is what you're looking for though. Interestingly, I heard that this was the standard text in the universities for many years.

There is a way of decoupling the complex Schroedinger equation into an equivalent set of two real equations, and this allows for the possibility of non-local hidden variables, but this theory is nonlinear. Search for "Bohmian Mechanics" or "De Broglie Pilot Wave."

1. What is the main topic of "The title?"

The main topic of "The title" is quantum mechanics, specifically the mathematical formulation of quantum mechanics.

2. Who is the author of "The title?"

The author of "The title" is Paul Dirac, a British theoretical physicist who made significant contributions to the development of quantum mechanics.

3. What makes "The title" a significant book in the field of science?

"The title" is considered a significant book in the field of science because it presents Dirac's groundbreaking work on quantum mechanics, including his famous equation that describes the behavior of electrons in a magnetic field.

4. Is "The title" suitable for non-scientists?

"The title" is a highly technical book and is primarily intended for scientists and advanced students in the field of quantum mechanics. Non-scientists may find it difficult to understand without a strong background in mathematics and physics.

5. Are there any criticisms of "The title?"

Some critics have noted that "The title" can be challenging to read due to its heavy use of mathematical notation and abstract concepts. Additionally, some have argued that Dirac's approach to quantum mechanics is too mathematical and lacks intuitive explanations.