Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Trace Theorem?

1. Feb 25, 2004 #1
    I am only in Calc I, and i am going to go to a math seminar on Trace theorem tommorow. And i was curious in simple terms, what it is and what it is used for.

Thanks,
    Steven

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you're only in calc, then the trace theorems that spring to mind aren't applicable. What do you mean by trace theorem?

4. Feb 26, 2004 #3
    The college i go to has weekely "Math talks" where different math proffesers(forgive my spelling) take turns talking about different math subjects. And this weeks lecture was labled "The Trace Theorem and the Hadamard Determinant Theorem". Usually all of the math seminars go over my head, since im only in calc one. I was just curious though if any of yall had basic info on the subject.

5. Feb 26, 2004 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As is often the case in mathematics there exist lots of thing with the same name.

Hadamard's Determinant solves some maximization problem on matrix determinants. This is done by Hadamard matrices (apparently), and they are are used in generating error correcting codes. If anyone knows ofsomething called the trace theorem that now seems appropriate perhaps they can take over.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?