The Turing Test

Summary
Turing
Summary: Turing

I have great respect for nearly all of Turing's work but as for the Turing Test I have a lot of problems. My life has taken me through many layers of the socio-economic spectrum, and I have learned a few things about my fellow humans that Turing may not have had the "privilege" of learning. I am pretty sure Turing had a bias having been around very educated people all of his life. In particular, I wonder, how many pairs of random humans, would identify the other random human as a human, in the test, given the range of cultural differences. Given cultural differences, I would think the number of humans that declared their human counterpart to be non-human counterpart rather high. Even in America we are so divided that we don't see how each other thinks--I can barely talk to my Trumpian brother. Humans are all so different, that makes finding a machine that is different much more difficult.

A.T.

Science Advisor
Summary: Turing

I have great respect for nearly all of Turing's work but as for the Turing Test I have a lot of problems. My life has taken me through many layers of the socio-economic spectrum, and I have learned a few things about my fellow humans that Turing may not have had the "privilege" of learning. I am pretty sure Turing had a bias having been around very educated people all of his life. In particular, I wonder, how many pairs of random humans, would identify the other random human as a human, in the test, given the range of cultural differences. Given cultural differences, I would think the number of humans that declared their human counterpart to be non-human counterpart rather high. Even in America we are so divided that we don't see how each other thinks--I can barely talk to my Trumpian brother. Humans are all so different, that makes finding a machine that is different much more difficult.
This is so obviously a computer generated post.

Aliens?

BillTre

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
It would not surprise me if many things like Siri could fool many people into thinking Siri is human.

russ_watters

Mentor
This is so obviously a computer generated post.
The entire internet is an AI simulation run for my amusement. None of you are real.

russ_watters

Mentor
Humans are all so different, that makes finding a machine that is different much more difficult.
Agreed. And just how arrogant do we have to be to believe that appearing [culturally similarly] human is a mark of intelligence? I have a spreadsheet program that can do millions of lines of arithmetic per second - I'd have to make it several orders of magnitude dumber to seem human - why would I want that?

256bits

Gold Member
The anti-Turing test:
Are you Human?
No.
Prove it.

Isn't the difference between our physical understanding of the universe and a simulation just that they just run on different hardware. Both would be equally real. You are an implementation snob. One extra layer of hardware between you and the simulation and you think you are superior. You know your reality could be a simulation too. The people running your reality simulation could also be a simulation too. I just figured-out quantum mechanics got to go.

The entire internet is an AI simulation run for my amusement. None of you are real.

russ_watters

Mentor
Isn't the difference between our physical understanding of the universe and a simulation just that they just run on different hardware. Both would be equally real. You are an implementation snob. One extra layer of hardware between you and the simulation and you think you are superior.
Maybe, but the difference I see is that I know my computer is hardware, and I know it runs software/simulations. It's not just "extra".

nomadreid

Gold Member
Did the OP have a question?

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Did the OP have a question?
I think it is more of a comment on how he believes that cultural differences should be, but are not, considered when designing a Turing test.