Voltage & Resistance: Exploring the Paradox

In summary: The higher the pressure, the less power is being dissipated. This is because the air is resisting the flow of the gas and heat.
Mr_Bojingles
Wikipedia defines the volt as "The volt is defined as the potential difference across a conductor when a current of one ampere dissipates one watt of power."

Doesn't resistance always determine the dissipation of power? If you were to have a superconductor with no resistance then the current would flow but no energy would be dissipated. Does that mean there's no voltage even one terminal is charged differently to the other?

I don't understand how dissipation of energy comes into the definition of the volt seeing as the dissipation of energy would vary depending on the resistance of the conductor while the potential difference between the two points would remain the same.

If I had a circuit with a 7 volt battery. The resistance of the circuit is 1 ohm. There is a current of 7 amps flowing throughout the circuit which is dissipating 7 watts. Let's say I raise the resistance of the circuit to 2 ohms so there is a current of 3.5 amps flowing. Would this circuit still dissipate 7 amps due to the increased resistance?

Anyhow in this case I changed the amount of amps but the voltage remained the same. If a volt is defined as the potential difference when 1 amp dissipates 1 watt how can the voltage remain the same when I alter the current due to resistance?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Mr_Bojingles said:
If I had a circuit with a 7 volt battery. The resistance of the circuit is 1 ohm. There is a current of 7 amps flowing throughout the circuit which is dissipating 7 watts. Let's say I raise the resistance of the circuit to 2 ohms so there is a current of 3.5 amps flowing. Would this circuit still dissipate 7 amps due to the increased resistance?

Ok firstly, in the series circuit you describe we would have
P=IV=7A*7V = 49Watts of power being dissipated

If you double the resistance, and the voltage remains at 7V, then sure, there would be 3.5A of current.
This of course means that less power is being dissipated,
P=IV=24.5Watts.

The power loss increases as the square of the current (Power can be re-written as P = I^2R) - which is why we have transmission lines in the hundreds of kV :smile:

From the wikipedia article on 'Volt':
Definition
The volt is defined as the potential difference across a conductor when a current of one ampere dissipates one watt of power.

This is just basically saying Ohm's law
In case one above, we had 7Amps dissipating into 49Watts.
If we want one 'Wikipedia Volt' to be when one Amp dissipates to one Watt, we'd need 7 of these Volts to dissipate 7 Amps into 49 Watts

de volt is simular to de pressure. I like to keep it simple.

Last edited:
Mr_Bojingles said:
Wikipedia defines the volt as "The volt is defined as the potential difference across a conductor when a current of one ampere dissipates one watt of power."

Doesn't resistance always determine the dissipation of power? If you were to have a superconductor with no resistance then the current would flow but no energy would be dissipated. Does that mean there's no voltage even one terminal is charged differently to the other?

I don't understand how dissipation of energy comes into the definition of the volt seeing as the dissipation of energy would vary depending on the resistance of the conductor while the potential difference between the two points would remain the same.

Anyhow in this case I changed the amount of amps but the voltage remained the same. If a volt is defined as the potential difference when 1 amp dissipates 1 watt how can the voltage remain the same when I alter the current due to resistance?
Using power = voltage * current (assuming DC), is one way of looking at it.

1 Volt = 1 J/C (joule/coulomb), i.e. a potential difference of 1 V would induce a change in energy of 1 Joule on 1 Coulomb of charge.

1 eV (electron volt) indicates the energy (1 eV or 1.602E-19 J) that a proton or electron would gain from passing across a potential of 1 volt.

And by all means, check out the Hyperphysics reference cited by stewartcs.

You know what i think. I think it is partly right that you are imagining the box and a person. Take a look at this: the resistance of air. When the engine is fired up, inside the engine will become a high pressure environment, whereareas the outside is a lower pressure environment than the inside of the engine. Therefore, it creates the opposite forces, and that's why when you see the afterburner of an aircraft is being fire, there are always a "skip" fire before it is fully being called "an afterburner". However, the thought of the fire pushes the inside of the engine is not wrong either. It is very logic that the fire burns every bit of particles of Oxygen just to make a leverage to be pushed away.

1. What is voltage and resistance?

Voltage is the measure of electric potential energy between two points in a circuit. It is measured in volts (V). Resistance is the measure of how much a material or device opposes the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms (Ω).

2. How are voltage and resistance related?

Voltage and resistance are inversely proportional. This means that as voltage increases, resistance decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law: V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance.

3. What is the paradox of voltage and resistance?

The paradox of voltage and resistance is that, according to Ohm's Law, as resistance decreases, voltage should increase, and as resistance increases, voltage should decrease. However, in reality, this is not always the case. In some scenarios, increasing resistance can actually lead to an increase in voltage.

4. What causes the paradox of voltage and resistance?

The paradox of voltage and resistance is caused by the internal resistance of a power source, such as a battery. This internal resistance, also known as source resistance, acts as an additional resistance in the circuit and can impact the relationship between voltage and resistance.

5. How can the paradox of voltage and resistance be explained?

The paradox of voltage and resistance can be explained by understanding that Ohm's Law only applies to ideal circuits with no source resistance. In real-world circuits, source resistance must be taken into account, which can affect the relationship between voltage and resistance and lead to the paradoxical results.