Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The West Wing appreciation thread

1. Dec 2, 2004 #1

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Any fans of the West Wing here ?

I had a near spiritual experience during the last episode I watched (an old one, on Bravo). This is the one where Bartlett has to decide whether or not to run for a second term (and his secretary Ms. Landingham dies in a car accident, and he goes ballistic on God).

So, near the end, Bartlett is in the process of making up his mind, when (Dire Strait's) Brothers in Arms begins to play in the background. That moved me to a nearly tribdog state.

What's your favorite West Wing episode/moment/quote ?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2004 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tsu and I missed this series completely until this year...or maybe late last year. We had at least an 8 month West-Wing-a-thon immediately after the first viewing. We were hooked. With all of the syndicated stuff we have mostly caught up. I do think the show has lost its punch, mostly over the last two seasons or so, but the first few years were fantastic. We were soooooooo hooked. It's one of the only major network shows that I have really enjoyed over maybe the last ten years or so. Tsu's remote is usually stuck on HGTV otherwise.

The episode that you mentioned is one of my favorites; that and all of the death and destruction stuff. The shooting, the kidnapping, the truth about Barlett's illness, the Butterball Turkey Hotline, all great stuff but the writing is what made the show.

I love the witty dialogue and esp the one liners...such as the Butterball episode where Bartlett is talking with the hotline and asks how to avoid killing all of his guest [with food poisoning from the oyster stuffing], "not that it's a deal breaker"...he says. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2004
  4. Dec 3, 2004 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you see the Josh Lemon Lyman episode about internet web sites? :rofl:

5. Dec 3, 2004 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not what you'd call a faithful follower, but when the reruns are on late at night, they are always funny. I had watched some the first season and thought it was boring then, but now I like it...maybe it was just the first season I didn't like.

A tribdog state? You might want to get some ointment for that.

6. Dec 3, 2004 #5
    I'm a fan of Angels in America.

Never seen West Wing.

Sorry for the sabotage.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?