The West Wing appreciation thread

• Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thread
In summary, the West Wing episode that moved Tsu and yourself to a near tribdog state was inspired by Dire Strait's Brothers in Arms and was one of the show's best writing moments.
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Any fans of the West Wing here ?

I had a near spiritual experience during the last episode I watched (an old one, on Bravo). This is the one where Bartlett has to decide whether or not to run for a second term (and his secretary Ms. Landingham dies in a car accident, and he goes ballistic on God).

So, near the end, Bartlett is in the process of making up his mind, when (Dire Strait's) Brothers in Arms begins to play in the background. That moved me to a nearly tribdog state.

What's your favorite West Wing episode/moment/quote ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tsu and I missed this series completely until this year...or maybe late last year. We had at least an 8 month West-Wing-a-thon immediately after the first viewing. We were hooked. With all of the syndicated stuff we have mostly caught up. I do think the show has lost its punch, mostly over the last two seasons or so, but the first few years were fantastic. We were soooooooo hooked. It's one of the only major network shows that I have really enjoyed over maybe the last ten years or so. Tsu's remote is usually stuck on HGTV otherwise.

The episode that you mentioned is one of my favorites; that and all of the death and destruction stuff. The shooting, the kidnapping, the truth about Barlett's illness, the Butterball Turkey Hotline, all great stuff but the writing is what made the show.

I love the witty dialogue and esp the one liners...such as the Butterball episode where Bartlett is talking with the hotline and asks how to avoid killing all of his guest [with food poisoning from the oyster stuffing], "not that it's a deal breaker"...he says. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:
Did you see the Josh Lemon Lyman episode about internet web sites? :rofl:

I'm not what you'd call a faithful follower, but when the reruns are on late at night, they are always funny. I had watched some the first season and thought it was boring then, but now I like it...maybe it was just the first season I didn't like.

A tribdog state? You might want to get some ointment for that.

I'm a fan of Angels in America.

Never seen West Wing.

Sorry for the sabotage.

1. What is "The West Wing" about?

"The West Wing" is a political drama television series that follows the daily lives of the White House staff and the President of the United States as they navigate through political challenges and personal struggles.

2. Who are the main characters in "The West Wing"?

The main characters in "The West Wing" include President Josiah Bartlet, Chief of Staff Leo McGarry, Deputy Chief of Staff Josh Lyman, Communications Director Toby Ziegler, Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn, Press Secretary C.J. Cregg, and Deputy National Security Advisor Kate Harper.

3. When did "The West Wing" initially air?

"The West Wing" premiered on September 22, 1999 and ran for 7 seasons until May 14, 2006.

4. Who created "The West Wing"?

"The West Wing" was created by Aaron Sorkin, who also wrote many of the episodes and served as an executive producer.

5. Has "The West Wing" received any awards or nominations?

Yes, "The West Wing" has received numerous awards and nominations, including 26 Primetime Emmy Awards and 2 Golden Globe Awards for Best Drama Series. It is also considered one of the greatest television shows of all time and has a dedicated fan base.