Why Do Things Go Wrong Unexpectedly?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, Evo has a problem with attempting to cut corners and take shortcuts through solid objects and hitting his knees, hips, toes, etc... and is just in a too much of a damn rush.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I just started this thread so that some others can enlighten us as to why things go wrong,
like today i twisted my ankle by just standing up, but that is just an example what do you have that just goes wrong with no apparent reason?

Physics news on Phys.org
I twisted my knee by getting up out of the chair, but it's the knee I put the glass through.

Evo said:
I twisted my knee by getting up out of the chair, but it's the knee I put the glass through.

Do you have a right side or left side preference for injury, mine is mainly right side.

wolram said:
Do you have a right side or left side preference for injury, mine is mainly right side.
Mine is right side, usually, but I broke my left arm 4 times.

I can't help you. Things don't go wrong for me. Just this morning I bent down to put on my sandals and my pencil fell from my shirt pocket. I reached out my hand to catch it before it hit the floor and my little finger caught on my pant's pocket. That bent my finger in a particular way and pain shot up my arm so I straightened up in a reflex action and lost my balance as my knee jerked in a knee-jerk reaction to all this. Now I fell to the floor and as luck would have it, the pencil was resting on my other sandal a pointing up just enough to catch me on the palm of my hand as I landed. My foot shot out and knocked over the coat rack that came crashing down on me and knocked me out. I woke up in the hospital when a cute nurse was washing me down. What's wrong with that?

You people are just clumsy.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I can't help you. Things don't go wrong for me. Just this morning I bent down to put on my sandals and my pencil fell from my shirt pocket. I reached out my hand to catch it before it hit the floor and my little finger caught on my pant's pocket. That bent my finger in a particular way and pain shot up my arm so I straightened up in a reflex action and lost my balance as my knee jerked in a knee-jerk reaction to all this. Now I fell to the floor and as luck would have it, the pencil was resting on my other sandal a pointing up just enough to catch me on the palm of my hand as I landed. My foot shot out and knocked over the coat rack that came crashing down on me and knocked me out. I woke up in the hospital when a cute nurse was washing me down. What's wrong with that?

This must put you at the top of (why) me pile, i hope you are okay now.

russ_watters said:
:tongue2:

russ_watters said:

True but why? What is clumsy.

wolram said:
This must put you at the top of (why) me pile.
It has renewed my faith in the medical profession. First she started at the top and washed down as far as possible. Then she started at the feet and washed up as far as possible. Then she handed me the washcloth and I washed possible.

Jimmy Snyder said:
It has renewed my faith in the medical profession. First she started at the top and washed down as far as possible. Then she started at the feet and washed up as far as possible. Then she handed me the washcloth and I washed possible.

:biggrin:

I have a why question. Why can I never find a matching pair of socks?

Jimmy Snyder said:

Did she give you a cotton bud. lol

Char. Limit said:

I gave up that situation some time ago, i buy a 12 pack of all black socks so i can all ways find a pair.

Char. Limit said:
I always buy the same socks in packs of 6. All of my socks match.

wolram said:
True but why? What is clumsy.

i think most of the time, it's a lack of neuromuscular vigilance.

I have a problem with attempting to cut corners and take shortcuts through solid objects and hitting my knees, hips, toes, etc... I'm just in a too much of a damn rush to change the record / get a drink / whatever!

Evo said:
:tongue2:
Evo,

I think Wolram created this thread just for you, and your endless list of injuries.

Rhody...o:)

Adyssa said:
I have a problem with attempting to cut corners and take shortcuts through solid objects and hitting my knees, hips, toes, etc... I'm just in a too much of a damn rush to change the record / get a drink / whatever!

Slow down or you will burn out.

wolram said:
Slow down or you will burn out.

Burn [it] down or you will slow out.

wolram said:
why things go wrong,?

what's wrong with wrong ? (:confused:)

Char. Limit said:
Burn [it] down or you will slow out.
Burn up or you will fast in.

It's better to burn out than to fade away? :)

(Neil Young)

Adyssa said:
It's better to burn out than to fade away? :)

(Neil Young)

Problem is, some body parts burn out, while others fade away.

Haha, that is true! :(

I have a day off today, and I'm going to practise moving slowly and doing one thing at a time. ^^

Jimmy Snyder said:
Burn up or you will fast in.

Burn in or you will fast up!

Char. Limit said:

Odd socks don't exist. For every non equal pair of socks you go out wearing, you have a pair just like them at home.

I fell down last night and injured my tail bone and have a huge swollen area on my left leg just below the hip joint. It looks broken, but I'm not getting that searing pain you get from a break. I need more cushions in order to sit. :redface:

Evo said:
I fell down last night and injured my tail bone and have a huge swollen area on my left leg just below the hip joint. It looks broken, but I'm not getting that searing pain you get from a break. I need more cushions in order to sit. :redface:
If you'd take my advice, Evo, you would break your ex's bones instead of your own.

I once reached for a pen at my desk and herniated a disc in my back, I was 22 :(

Bad posture is probably the why...

Evo said:

Oh noes :cry:! Put some ice on it!

My right eye feels like it's been pulled into my skull, I have this headache all day long, and seems like it won't go. I believe it's because some water went deep inside through my nose last night... Haha! This sounds so Evo! :biggrin:

Hey there Evo, hope you get well soon. :)

Char. Limit said:

My daughter refused to wear matching socks when she was a teenager and a young adult.

I remember one of the first warm days of spring. I had gone shopping on the way home from work and changed into shorts and sandals before unloading the groceries. First thing I do going out the door is ram my toe into the corner of the screen door, opening up a bleeding gash. It was almost like I put on sandals for the sole purpose of being able to hurt my toe.

I remember another first warm day of spring where we took the kids to the park for a picnic. Before we could even finish unloading the food from the car, one of boys had accidentally kicked the other one in the nose, giving them a bloody nose. While I was dealing with that, one of the daughters started screaming. I ran over to her and found out she broke her arm falling off of the monkey bars. We drove all the way to the park, just so the kids could spend five minutes injuring themselves, so we could spend the rest of the day in the emergency room.

Fitting to a why thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Y

Because!

<h2>1. Why do things go wrong unexpectedly?</h2><p>There are many factors that can contribute to unexpected failures or errors. Some common reasons include human error, technological malfunctions, environmental changes, and lack of proper maintenance or testing.</p><h2>2. Can we prevent unexpected failures?</h2><p>While we cannot completely eliminate the possibility of unexpected failures, we can take preventative measures to reduce the likelihood of them occurring. This includes thorough testing, regular maintenance, and implementing safety protocols.</p><h2>3. How do unexpected failures impact scientific research?</h2><p>Unexpected failures can have a significant impact on scientific research, as they can lead to delays, loss of data, and additional costs. It is important for scientists to have contingency plans in place to minimize the impact of unexpected failures.</p><h2>4. Are there any patterns or trends in unexpected failures?</h2><p>There are often patterns or trends in unexpected failures, which can help scientists identify potential risks and take proactive measures to prevent them. For example, certain types of equipment may have a higher failure rate or certain environmental conditions may increase the likelihood of failures.</p><h2>5. How can we learn from unexpected failures?</h2><p>Unexpected failures can provide valuable insights and lessons for scientists. By analyzing the root causes of failures, scientists can identify areas for improvement and make necessary changes to prevent similar errors in the future.</p>

1. Why do things go wrong unexpectedly?

There are many factors that can contribute to unexpected failures or errors. Some common reasons include human error, technological malfunctions, environmental changes, and lack of proper maintenance or testing.

2. Can we prevent unexpected failures?

While we cannot completely eliminate the possibility of unexpected failures, we can take preventative measures to reduce the likelihood of them occurring. This includes thorough testing, regular maintenance, and implementing safety protocols.

3. How do unexpected failures impact scientific research?

Unexpected failures can have a significant impact on scientific research, as they can lead to delays, loss of data, and additional costs. It is important for scientists to have contingency plans in place to minimize the impact of unexpected failures.

4. Are there any patterns or trends in unexpected failures?

There are often patterns or trends in unexpected failures, which can help scientists identify potential risks and take proactive measures to prevent them. For example, certain types of equipment may have a higher failure rate or certain environmental conditions may increase the likelihood of failures.

5. How can we learn from unexpected failures?

Unexpected failures can provide valuable insights and lessons for scientists. By analyzing the root causes of failures, scientists can identify areas for improvement and make necessary changes to prevent similar errors in the future.