The woman who can remember everything

• Medical
  • Thread starter SF
  • Start date
In summary, a woman known only by her initials has an extraordinary autobiographical memory that was triggered by a traumatic move during her childhood. She can remember everything from the age of 14 and this ability has caused her to suffer from depression and lack of sleep. Neuroscientists believe that traumatic events can cause major changes in the brain, especially in children. This woman's memory has affected her life in various ways and raises questions about the capacity of the brain to store memories.
SF
For years she remained anonymous, referred to only by initials in scientific journals while experts at the University of California-Irvine tested her ability.

Mrs Price said her memory started working overtime after her family moved to Los Angeles when she was eight and from the time she was 14, in 1980, she can remember absolutely everything.

Neuroscientists say a trauma such as moving the family home can trigger major, lingering changes in the brain, especially in children who cling to memories of how their life had been. Mrs Price said: "Some memories are good and give me a warm, safe feeling.

"But I also recall every bad decision, insult and excruciating embarrassment. Over the years it has eaten me up. It has kind of paralysed me."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1940420/The-woman-who-can-remember-everything.html

Biology news on Phys.org
That has got to be like torture. I can understand why she spent years suffering from depression, and lack of sleep.

If she has a kid, she'll probably never do that again. As I understand it, most women only reproduce repeatedly because they block the memory of what it felt like the first time.

SF said:
Neuroscientists say a trauma such as moving the family home can trigger major, lingering changes in the brain
Well, if that's all it takes, we may have a problem, and not just declining population ;) If one move gave this woman an autobiographical memory, I figure I should have genetic memory, telekinesis, and the inner eye by now. What they found about the brain is interesting, though. Is it possible to determine just how many "bytes" of space those memories take up? Beside nightmares and insomnia, does her memory affect any other portion of her life?

Related to The woman who can remember everything

What is hyperthymesia?

Hyperthymesia, also known as highly superior autobiographical memory (HSAM), is a condition in which individuals have an extremely detailed and vivid memory of their past experiences. This includes the ability to recall specific dates, events, and even minor details with great accuracy.

How is hyperthymesia different from a normal memory?

Hyperthymesia is different from a normal memory in terms of the level of detail and accuracy. While most people may have a general recollection of past events, individuals with hyperthymesia have an exceptional ability to remember even the most mundane details of their past experiences.

What causes hyperthymesia?

The exact cause of hyperthymesia is still unknown, but it is believed to be a combination of genetic and environmental factors. Some studies have shown that individuals with hyperthymesia have structural differences in certain areas of their brain that are responsible for memory.

What are the benefits of having hyperthymesia?

The benefits of having hyperthymesia include being able to recall important information accurately and quickly, which can be useful in academic or professional settings. It can also help individuals connect with their past and have a better understanding of themselves.

Are there any downsides to having hyperthymesia?

Although having hyperthymesia may seem like a superpower, it can also have some downsides. Some individuals with hyperthymesia may experience overwhelming and intrusive memories, which can be emotionally distressing. It can also make it difficult to forget painful or traumatic experiences.