Theorema of Bezout: Finding f & e with Examples

• Thread starter marlon
  • Start date
In summary, the theorem of Bezout states that for two polynomials a and b with all different factors, we can find two new polynomials f and e such that a*e+b*f=1. To find e and f, one can use Euclid's algorithm, which involves dividing the smaller polynomial by the larger one and repeating the process until the remainder is 1. This works for both integers and polynomials, as long as the coefficients are from a field. Bezout also proved that for polynomials in two variables, there are two polynomials A and B such that Af+Bg=R(x), where R is a polynomial only in x. This helps in finding the number of intersections of the curves of zeroes of f and g
marlon
I have a question on the theorema of Bezout. It states that for two given polynomes a and b with all different factors we can find two new polynomes f and e so that a*e+b*f=1.

The question is : how do you find e and f. Perhaps someone can give me an example of how this is done using real numbers,...just a suggestion though

regards
marlon

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A thread was discussed for the gcd version of this theorem ...
I think wherein matt grime , gokul and i had some ideas on finding the e and f (integers) Prolly the same line of attack can be used. I don't recall which thread was it ... I will try to find it or hopefully some one else does if i can't ...

-- AI

Anybody got any ideas...

Tenali, can you give me a link?

regards
marlon

suppose you have two integers n,m with no common factors except 1 and -1, and pose the same question. then you can find two integers a and b such that an+bm = 1. (This is due to Euclid, more than one thousand years before bezout, and his argument works also for relatively prime polynomials. The theorem of bezout relates to two polynomials in two variables and asks how many common points their curves of zeroes can have in the plane.)

anyway all you have to do is divide the samller one by the alreger one, and then repeat this with the remainder, until finally you get down to one.

this is called the euclidean algorithm.

example: take 39 and 28. divide 39 by 28 get 39 = 1(28) +11. then divide 28 by 11, and get 28 = 2(11) + 6. then divide 11 by 6 and get 11 = 1(6) + 5, then divide 6 by 5 and get 6 = 1(5) + 1.

now that the remainder is finally 1, work backwards through the equations to the beginning.

i.e. 1 = 6-5, and since 5 = 11-6, we get that 1 = 6 -(11-6) = 2(6) -11.

and now since 6 = 28 - 2(11) we get 1 = 2(6) -11 = 2(28 - 2(11)) - (11)

= 2(28) -5(11) and since 11 = 39-28 we get 1 = 2(28) - 5(39-28)

= 7(28) - 5(39), i.e. 1 = 7(28) -5(39). now we check it of course since i could be wrong.

140+56 = 196, and 150 +45 = 195. it checks.

the same thing works if you divide the polynomials, provided you use coefficients from a field like the rationals or the reals.

i.e. the key point is that the ring of polynomials over a field forms a euclidean domain.

in order to involve bezout i would suggest that he may well have proved that for polynomials of two variables, say f,g with no common factors, polynomials in x,y, there are two polynomials A,B also in x,y, such that Af+Bg = R(x), where R is a polynomial only in x, called the resultant, but this is usually regarded as due to Euler. Anyway it leads to a proof of bezouts theorem on the number of intersections of the zeroes of f,g, since where f,g, are both zero, then R must be zero, so this let's us find the x coordinates of the poiunts that the curves f=0 and g=0 have in common.

Last edited:
thanks mathwonk...

marlon

it is a pleasure to be of help.

Related to Theorema of Bezout: Finding f & e with Examples

What is the Theorem of Bezout?

The Theorem of Bezout is a mathematical theorem that states that for two polynomial equations in two variables, the number of common solutions is equal to the product of the degrees of the equations.

How is the Theorem of Bezout used to find f and e?

The Theorem of Bezout can be used to find the values of f and e, which represent the degrees of the two polynomial equations, respectively. This is done by equating the product of the degrees to the number of common solutions and solving for f and e.

Can you provide an example of using the Theorem of Bezout?

Sure, for example, if we have the equations x^2 + y^2 = 25 and x + y = 7, we can see that they have 4 common solutions (5,0), (0,5), (-3,4), and (4,-3). Using the Theorem of Bezout, we can set f = 2 (degree of x^2 + y^2) and e = 1 (degree of x + y), and we get 2*1 = 2 = number of common solutions.

What is the significance of the Theorem of Bezout?

The Theorem of Bezout is important in algebraic geometry and can be used to prove other important theorems, such as the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. It also has applications in coding theory and cryptography.

Are there any limitations to the Theorem of Bezout?

Yes, the Theorem of Bezout only applies to polynomial equations in two variables. It also assumes that the equations are in standard form and that the coefficients are from a field. Additionally, the theorem does not provide a method for finding the actual solutions, it only determines the number of solutions.