1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theorems of Pappus (Finding mass)

1. Mar 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A steel die, shown in section, has the form of a solid
    generated by revolving the shaded area around the
    z-axis. Calculate the mass m of the die.

64dt2d.png

2. Relevant equations

V =θ(rA) where r is the distance from the origin to the centroid of each shape

m = ρV where ρ = 7830 kg/m3

3. The attempt at a solution

Obviously θ = 2π.

If I make rA = ( r1A1 - r2A2 ), then A1 = area of right most rectangle = (100 mm x 200 mm) and r1 = distance from origin to that rectangle's centroid = 60 mm + ( 100 mm / 2 ) = 110 mm.

Also, A2 = area of half-circle = π(R2)/2 = π(602)/2 ≅ 5654 mm and r1 = distance from origin to that half circle = 60mm + 4R/(3π) ≅ 85.46 mm.

This method gives me correct volume (according to answer given) which in turn gives me correct mass m ≅ 84.5 kg. However, how come I don't have to take into account the rectangle of area (60mm x 200mm) (which is to the left of the half circle) along with its coordinate from origin to centroid (which would be 30mm)? Wouldn't I have to make that r3A3 and subtract that from ( r1A1 - r2A2 ) ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2015 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Because that area is part of the void, it's empty. The question asks you to calculate that volume shown cross-hatched.

4. Mar 21, 2015 #3
    By "shaded area", they mean the cross-hatched section right? Wouldn't that make the half circle area void as well?

edit: never mind I get what you're saying. Thanks lol. The volume of only the cross hatched section means obtaining that area and coordinate only. Which means I have to subtract the half circle area and its coordinate. OK, I guess I thought the problem wanted the whole figure not just the cross hatched section. Thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted