1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of mass to find support reactions at pins for a homogeneous flat plate

1. Aug 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The mass of the homogeneous flat plate is 50 kg. Determine the reactions at the supports A and B. I've attached the diagram.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know I will need to find the center of mass. I don't remember exactly how to do it, but I found the centroid location first by using composite areas and the formula xbar=∑(x~)A/∑A and similar for y.
    I found the centroid location to be at (0.566,0.183) m.

I have two questions.
    If I find the center of mass, do I then just treat the mass as a concentrated load at that point horizontally and find the reactions using the moment about A or B and the sum of the forces in the y?
    Can someone point me in the right direction for finding the center of mass from here?

Thank you!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2011 #2
    I think I figured it out. I didn't need to do anything beyond finding the centroid location to find the support reactions. I got an answer of By= 198 N and Ay = 292 N

4. Sep 1, 2011 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You got it. But they made finding the centroid a bit of an exercise, eh?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook