How can I find the distance and centroid of a hatch in fluid mechanics?

In summary, the problem involves finding the distance, H_c, from the fluid surface to the center of the hatch using geometry. The area of the hatch is .160 m and the specific weight is 8.83 Kn/m^3. The resultant force formula is F_r = specific weight x area x H_c and the correct answer is 1213 N. To find the centroid of the hatch, the length of the slanted side can be calculated using trigonometry and then used to find H_c. The centroids can also be found by adding the sum of the composites of a circle and square.
Jason03
Im working on the problem below...

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/4939/dfadfgs5.jpg

Im having trouble finding the distance I have labled in the problem...H_c...which is the distance from the fluid surface to the center of the hatch...It appears to be found just using geometry but I am not getting it...

I found the area of the hatch to be .160 m...by adding the areas of the rectangle and two semi circles...and I have the specific weight found by multiplying (.90 x 9.81 Kn/m^3) = 8.83 Kn/m^3...

so the resultant force formula is

F_r = specific weight x area x H_c...

and the correct answer for the resultant force is 1213 N...but I can't get H_c...

Also later in the problem I have to find the centroid of the hatch...so how would I go about doing that...would I take the centroid for each shape and average them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jason03: Study some trigonometry. I.e., memorize the definition of sine, cosine, and tangent for a right triangle. Remember those? You must learn those.

The length of the slanted side would be (0.6 m)/cos(40 deg), right? See if you can figure out how to find H_c and F_r now.

yea actually i figured it out shortly after i posted...but i did it slightly differently..

Cos40 = y/.450

Y= .450cos40

Y= .344 m

So ….(.6 +.6) - .344 = .855

h_c = .855 m

and the centroids were easily enough found by just adding the sum of the composites of a circle and square...

Thanks!

Nice work. That is a good approach you used.

Related to How can I find the distance and centroid of a hatch in fluid mechanics?

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) and their properties, behavior, and motion.

2. How is distance related to fluid mechanics?

Distance is a crucial factor in fluid mechanics as it determines the amount of force and energy required for a fluid to move through a system. The distance between two points also affects the pressure and velocity of the fluid.

3. What is the role of viscosity in fluid mechanics?

Viscosity is the resistance of a fluid to flow. It plays a significant role in fluid mechanics as it affects the velocity and friction within a fluid. Higher viscosity means more resistance to flow, while lower viscosity allows for easier flow.

4. How does Bernoulli's principle relate to fluid mechanics?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This principle is important in fluid mechanics as it helps explain the relationship between fluid velocity, pressure, and energy.

5. What are some real-life applications of fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics has many practical applications, such as in the design of airplanes, boats, and cars. It is also essential in understanding weather patterns, ocean currents, and the flow of blood in our bodies. Additionally, fluid mechanics is used in industries such as oil and gas, chemical processing, and water treatment.