1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theoretical doubt with rolling without slipping

1. Jun 29, 2012 #1
    Hi. I'm taking a look at this problem:

attachment.php?attachmentid=48748&stc=1&d=1340990540.gif

And my doubt is with step 2 when he calculates the torque. He just says it is Fd. But...why? F only has a component which effectivly does torque.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2012 #2
    Hi Hernaner28!

F as a whole is the component which creates effective torque. Fn doesn't create torque as its line of action passes through the ball's center, and the same with mg. But F has a line of action that is at a distance 'd' away from the center and perpendicular to it. So... :wink:

4. Jun 29, 2012 #3
    I don't understand. F has a tangential component and that's the one which creates torque, the other component of F doesn't create torque because it passes through the center. Maybe it's a geometric problem I cannot solve...

Thanks!

5. Jun 29, 2012 #4
    Yes. But both the torques, that is the torque taken with the tangential component, or just taken the way it is, give you the same result!! That's because for the tangential component, the perpendicular distance from the center is R, but in the case of the force given, it is d. Think about it...

6. Jun 29, 2012 #5
    Ahhmmm I see... I didn't know you could take that easy way.. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook