Is it Possible to Master String Theory with a Mathematics Background?

In summary, Pure Math may be a good term to refer to what the person is studying, but it is actually a broad term that includes many different subjects. It may be difficult to get to a high level of physics if you don t have a strong background in mathematics, but it is possible with the right tools.
Emilijo
I m first year in theoretical mathematics (graduate study), but I am very interested in theoretical physics, I have some knowledge in physics, general knowledge in mechanics and thermodinamics, electrodynamics, optics, waves, basics in quantum theory, but I am very interested in elementary particles and string theory. I have, obviously, a high mathematic knowledge, but it does not have many applications, I can do nothing with (I feel like not having any purpouse) so, it is difficult to reach a high level of theoretical physics? (I would apply my knowledge especially in string theory, but I think that would be too much difficult to jump from one level to another. What I can do, it is over to start now with strong theoretical physics (I am 22), or I can give a try? In the second case, I will study alone, without going on lectures and so on... I wolud just approach to physics as theoretical mathematician. It is possible, or I am nowhere in that way, niether I don t know mathematics, niether physics, and my life would be in a sh.t
What is the best to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Theoretical Math? What? I have never heard this term before, do you mean Pure Math? What specifically are you studying? It might transfer over rather nicely to string theory.

Sorry,I m from Europe, In my country, we pure math call theoretical math.
So, yes. I study pure math, and there are subjects like differential geometry, metric spaces, topology, projective geometry, advanced algebra and group theory, algebraic number theory,
advanced probability theory, differential equations,...and stuff like these...
So, what do you think?

Emilijo said:
Sorry,I m from Europe, In my country, we pure math call theoretical math.
So, yes. I study pure math, and there are subjects like differential geometry, metric spaces, topology, projective geometry, advanced algebra and group theory, algebraic number theory,
advanced probability theory, differential equations,...and stuff like these...
So, what do you think?

One thing I would definitely recommend you study if you can is geometric algebra: this is becoming a very important way to describe physical laws not only compactly, but in a way that gives insight geometrically.

One other recommendation for any kind of scientific investigation and analysis is that of probability and statistics. The reason for this is that the old Newtonian paradigm is becoming replaced with the quantum paradigm: in other words, absolute determinism is getting replaced with a paradigm of uncertainty.

Also we are going from a description of a few degrees of freedom, to many many degrees of freedom and because of this, probabilistic and statistical methods are useful for analyzing these kinds of situations.

It's even good to use the uncertainty framework for modelling things that have a known deterministic description with huge numbers of degrees of freedom, since the computational complexity under our computational models can end up being intractable for the exact model simulation, but not for the random simulation which ends up giving information that is still accurate enough to be useful.

What about string theory? Will be easy to get this level with those mathematic tools I pointed out to you? I am aware that I will have to study elementary particles, relativity, field theory and stuff, but it doesn t seem difficult if you know mathematics very well. Is that correct? What do you think, is there a lot, lot of work to do to get this level, or it can be quite easy,
assuming that on these lectures (especially in differential geometry, topology, group theory, probability) we often connect mathematics and theoretical physics (differential geometry in relativity, group theory in elementary particles...)?

1. What is the difference between theoretical math and physics?

Theoretical math is the study of abstract mathematical concepts and their relationships, while theoretical physics is the study of the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of the universe. While both fields use mathematical models and theories to explain and predict phenomena, theoretical math is more focused on the abstract concepts themselves, while theoretical physics is more concerned with applying these concepts to real-world phenomena.

2. How are theoretical math and physics used in scientific research?

Theoretical math and physics are essential in scientific research as they provide the theoretical framework and tools for understanding and explaining complex phenomena. These fields are used to create mathematical models and theories that can be tested and validated through experiments and observations. They also play a crucial role in developing new technologies and advancing our understanding of the natural world.

3. What are some examples of theoretical math and physics in everyday life?

Theoretical math and physics have many practical applications in our daily lives. For example, theoretical physics has been used to develop technologies like GPS, lasers, and nuclear power. Theoretical math has been used to create encryption algorithms for secure communication and to optimize transportation and logistics networks. These fields also play a significant role in developing new materials, medicines, and energy sources.

4. What skills are needed to excel in theoretical math and physics?

To excel in theoretical math and physics, one must have a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking skills, and the ability to think abstractly. These fields also require persistence, patience, and creativity to solve complex problems and develop new theories. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills are also essential, as well as the ability to communicate complex concepts effectively.

5. What are some current research topics in theoretical math and physics?

Some current research topics in theoretical math and physics include quantum mechanics, string theory, cosmology, and the study of complex systems. Other areas of interest include the development of mathematical models for climate change, artificial intelligence, and the behavior of biological systems. Researchers in these fields are also exploring the intersection of math and physics with other disciplines, such as computer science and biology, to gain new insights and advance our understanding of the world.