Theoretical Maximum Velocity Of Electric Jet?

In summary: So essentially to go supersonic at all you need some sort of scramjet type technology?Yes, a traditional jet can go supersonic without the air entering the compressor being supersonic. See Concord. Lot of effort went into the design of the jet intakes. They slow the air down from Mach 2 to Mach 0.5...
Buggy
I'm wondering about theoretical maximum velocities of supersonic electric aircraft. I think the fastest demonstration of any type of aircraft has been close to mach 10. This was done using a rocket engine, so propulsion would not be limited by air characteristics as much as a fan's propulsion would (I think).

Under best conditions; Assuming an incredibly high power to weight ratio of motors, extremely aerodynamic design, strongest materials, etc.

Theoretically, does anyone know what the limiting factors in the velocity of an electric fan propelled supersonic aircraft would be (barring energy use)? Does it depend on size, etc?

Could it reach mach 2+?

Thanks a lot in advance for any input.

EDIT: Please see question change below

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Buggy said:
Ah thank you, I've edited my original question based on this.
Please do NOT edit original posts. It makes things very confusing.

Likes davenn
Bystander said:
Please do NOT edit original posts. It makes things very confusing.

Okay sorry, changed it back. I will say what I want changed here:

Basically I initially thought propellers were the only way to go for electric craft (and propeller cannot go supersonic), but it appears that compressors are also viable with an electric motor (and compressor propelled craft can).

So the question now becomes what are the limiting factors for compressor-propelled craft (powered by electric motors) instead of the original 'for fan-propelled craft'

Likes Bystander
In principle you could use anything to spin the front stage of a modern jet engine. You could use a gas turbine engine, a piston engine, an electric motor, a twisted rubber band or even a human on a push bike.

Likes billy_joule
Buggy said:
So the question now becomes what are the limiting factors for compressor-propelled craft (powered by electric motors) instead of the original 'for fan-propelled craft'
The axial flow compressor in a jet engine is still made up of rotating airfoils (like a prop) so still don't perform well at supersonic speeds and the limiting factors are fundamentallly the same.

billy_joule said:
The axial flow compressor in a jet engine is still made up of rotating airfoils (like a prop) so still don't perform well at supersonic speeds and the limiting factors are fundamentallly the same.
So essentially to go supersonic at all you need some sort of scramjet type technology?

A traditional jet can go supersonic without the air entering the compressor being supersonic.

1. What is the theoretical maximum velocity of an electric jet?

The theoretical maximum velocity of an electric jet is the highest speed that an electric jet can reach under ideal conditions. It is determined by factors such as the power of the electric motor, the efficiency of the propulsion system, and the weight and aerodynamics of the aircraft.

2. How does the theoretical maximum velocity of an electric jet compare to traditional jet engines?

The theoretical maximum velocity of an electric jet is typically lower than traditional jet engines due to the limitations of current electric motor and battery technology. However, electric jets have the potential to be more efficient and environmentally friendly, making them a promising alternative to traditional jet engines in the future.

3. Can the theoretical maximum velocity of an electric jet be achieved in real-world conditions?

In most cases, the theoretical maximum velocity of an electric jet cannot be achieved in real-world conditions due to factors such as air resistance, wind, and weight limitations. However, advancements in technology and aerodynamics may eventually allow for higher speeds to be reached.

4. How does the theoretical maximum velocity of an electric jet impact its range and flight time?

The theoretical maximum velocity of an electric jet can greatly impact its range and flight time. Higher speeds require more power, which can drain the battery more quickly and limit the distance the jet can travel. This is why electric jets currently have shorter ranges and flight times compared to traditional jet engines.

5. Are there any factors that can increase the theoretical maximum velocity of an electric jet?

Yes, there are several factors that can increase the theoretical maximum velocity of an electric jet. These include advancements in electric motor and battery technology, improvements in aerodynamics, and the use of alternative fuels. Additionally, reducing the weight of the aircraft can also increase its maximum velocity.