Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Theoretical Maximum Velocity Of Electric Jet?

Tags:
  1. Oct 2, 2016 #1
    I'm wondering about theoretical maximum velocities of supersonic electric aircraft. I think the fastest demonstration of any type of aircraft has been close to mach 10. This was done using a rocket engine, so propulsion would not be limited by air characteristics as much as a fan's propulsion would (I think).

Under best conditions; Assuming an incredibly high power to weight ratio of motors, extremely aerodynamic design, strongest materials, etc.

Theoretically, does anyone know what the limiting factors in the velocity of an electric fan propelled supersonic aircraft would be (barring energy use)? Does it depend on size, etc?

Could it reach mach 2+?

Thanks a lot in advance for any input.

EDIT: Please see question change below

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2016 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

4. Oct 2, 2016 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Please do NOT edit original posts. It makes things very confusing.

5. Oct 2, 2016 #4
    Okay sorry, changed it back. I will say what I want changed here:

Basically I initially thought propellers were the only way to go for electric craft (and propeller cannot go supersonic), but it appears that compressors are also viable with an electric motor (and compressor propelled craft can).

So the question now becomes what are the limiting factors for compressor-propelled craft (powered by electric motors) instead of the original 'for fan-propelled craft'

6. Oct 3, 2016 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In principle you could use anything to spin the front stage of a modern jet engine. You could use a gas turbine engine, a piston engine, an electric motor, a twisted rubber band or even a human on a push bike.

7. Oct 3, 2016 #6

billy_joule

Science Advisor

The axial flow compressor in a jet engine is still made up of rotating airfoils (like a prop) so still don't perform well at supersonic speeds and the limiting factors are fundamentallly the same.

8. Oct 3, 2016 #7
    So essentially to go supersonic at all you need some sort of scramjet type technology?

9. Oct 3, 2016 #8

billy_joule

Science Advisor

A traditional jet can go supersonic without the air entering the compressor being supersonic.

10. Oct 4, 2016 #9

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted