Theory Clarification: Do We Get Better Senses When We Lose One?

• Thread starter Ramster5678
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, it is true that when one sense is lost, the remaining senses can become more sensitive to compensate for the loss. However, it is not possible to gain more sensitivity through competition between neurons. This theory is not applicable to conditions such as myopia, as improving nerves will not improve the optic quality of the eye.
Ramster5678
I've heard that if one of your senses go bad or is permenently gone, then one of your other senses become better in return. But I'm not too sure if that's true. I'm not sure that if some nerves go bad that some are reinforced. Can someone clarify if this theory is actually true?

Biology news on Phys.org
Hi,

About senses, it is true. we enhance the sensitivity of the remaining ones, "compensating" the loss.

About nerves? The question is not clear since competition already exists between neurons giving thge best response we could have. It is, in these conditions, not possible to gain, more.

well, about the nerves, like, eye nerves. Like, if the eyeball's nerves were to go bad and so on with the theory. I thought that the theory was linked to nerves.

It exist effectively some redundance in nerves. But as I said it, if the best candidate dies then the resting one will be promoted with fewer performances.
This behavior is called competition.

awsome. But it also depends what kind of disability, right? Like, Myopia, for example, wouldn't work when applied to the theory since it's just light rays hitting infront of the retina.

No,

Improving nerves will not improve the optic quality of the eye!

that's not what i meant. I guess i answered my own question by asking it in the previous post

1. What is the theory of getting better senses when we lose one?

The theory suggests that when we lose one of our senses, such as sight or hearing, our other senses may become more heightened in order to compensate for the loss.

2. Is there scientific evidence to support this theory?

There have been studies conducted on individuals who have lost one of their senses and results have shown that they may have enhanced abilities in their remaining senses.

3. How does the brain compensate for the loss of one sense?

When one sense is lost, the brain may rewire itself and allocate more neural activity to the remaining senses, allowing them to become more sensitive and efficient.

4. Are there any limitations to this theory?

While there is evidence to suggest that losing one sense may enhance the others, the extent to which this occurs may vary from person to person. Additionally, this theory does not apply to all types of sensory loss.

5. Can we intentionally improve our senses by losing one?

There is currently no scientific evidence to support intentionally losing one sense in order to enhance the others. It is important to note that losing a sense can have significant negative impacts on one's life and should not be taken lightly.